1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Licenced and Fully Insured??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SchultzLawnCare, Mar 4, 2008.

  1. SchultzLawnCare

    SchultzLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 268

    So I am kinda confused about this... when you say " my business is LICENCED and fully insured " How do you get licenced for mowing a lawn...

    I have a tax ID number and I'm insured, would i be able to put in my flyer "Im licenced"
  2. Weekes

    Weekes LawnSite Member
    Messages: 107

    do you have a business lisc.

    if yes you are lisc.

    do you do fert applications and are certified

    if yes you are lisc. for fert
  3. PerfectEarth

    PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,734

    It could mean that you have a registered LLC, s-corp, etc. with your State - or you are registered with your local city, town, etc. for any necessary licenses or tax account #'s... check wiht your Secretary of State website or any local city website for business requirements.

    It could mean that you are licensed to apply pesticides and fertilizer, as well.
  4. cwmiller928

    cwmiller928 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 109

    All you do is go to city hall, Get a DBA, Pass zoning laws, Tell your service, and adress, and social and stuff. And thast about it you get a license to do business in that city
  5. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 21,653

    I did it for my first year because I felt there was too much blank space on my ad, but I found the words 'licensed and insured' to be too cliche... It's another of those things, EVERYBODY says that, not only is it really a waste of time and advertising space but even the customers I could tell, they didn't come right out and say it but they were like 'omg you too, will you gimme a break?'

    At the time I couldn't think of what else to put there, but I did find out when it comes to advertising size does matter, but so do raw numbers. That is, not only is bigger better, but also how many folks get the ad (and more is better here).

    So then I found it all boils down to money, see it costs cha-ching to advertise, moolah.
    So then I added all of this up together, and I found I have so much dollar I can spend on advertising.

    The math is simple, I compromised by cutting my ad down in size, but instead it goes out to more houses.
    Works great, I not only don't put that garbage on there, but I get really about the same bang for my buck.
    More houses, smaller ad, cost is the same and so are the results, pretty much.
  6. grapeford

    grapeford LawnSite Member
    Messages: 104

    In Mass. if you want to apply any type of pesticide, herbicide, you need a pesticide license. That's what my ad reads.
  7. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,587

    this is not directed at fert and squirt operations, but the mowers, all states have a different process in getting a business license.... ohio its apply, pay for the license and then you are a licensed company....

    you need a business license and to be a legal tax paying operation with general liability insurance
  8. 1080p

    1080p LawnSite Member
    Messages: 14

    licensed and insured?

    May be cliche to advertise but people do care about.

    Now, licensed and insured means a whole lot more.

    Your business-license, insurance, liability, etc...
    Vehicles-tabs, DOT number, correct class of DL for the equipment you have
    Fert/Pesticides-Company license, applicator license
    City license-don't know about elsewhere but in the Twin Cities you are required to have certain licenses for certain jobs, althoguh this is a city by city scenario.
    Electrician low-voltage license-might be required for some landscape jobs that include lighting but mainly for irrigation work.

    Being legal suck and is expensive but it is a necessary cost. I know of companies that are not FULLY licensed and do fine but when that time comes, and it will, when they get caught... told you so...

Share This Page