License for granular vs Spray pesticides

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by toddtt, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. toddtt

    toddtt LawnSite Member
    Messages: 18

    I have insurance on my new company and my agent said I was covered for applying granular fert, and then asked me if I would be doing any spray pesticides, and I let him no that I wasn't. My question is this, in Nebraska, do I also need a license of some sort to apply granular on my 15 accounts, or is the insurance the license? I will not be doing any sprays. Thanks
  2. Wells

    Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT
    Messages: 0

    If the granular fertilizer has any kind of pre or post emergent in it then you will be required to have a licensed to apply pesticieds.
    I believe that is a national standard not a state to state thing.

    Pre and post emergents consist of anything that controls weeds, bugs, etc.

    Even the Scotts brand fertilizer that you buy at Home Depot, Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 all require a pesticide license to apply if your applying it at any location besides your own lawn.
  3. toddtt

    toddtt LawnSite Member
    Messages: 18

    Thank you for the info, I will try and pass the test for the license. I heard there are some books I can read up on before I take the test. I also heard the test is kind of tough. I definitely want to be legal with this, or just not do any fertilizing

    Thanks again
  4. Mountain Peak

    Mountain Peak LawnSite Member
    Messages: 203

    After looking all over trying to answer that question for myself I found it was easiest to call your state department of agriculture. Just look up their number online and give them a call. They can send you all of the regulations in writing. I like to have this information in a binder in my truck.

Share This Page