license in pa ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by gabebella, Apr 16, 2007.

  1. gabebella

    gabebella LawnSite Member
    Messages: 4

    I am starting a new business for general lawn care. What licenses do I need. I want to get a bank account open, write of equipment mileage, ect. And I was told I would need a license for all of that?
  2. J&R Landscaping

    J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,095

    You'll need a sales tax license, and fiticious names permit too. If you have employees, you need a withhold tax license as well. You'll have to check with your local municipality if you need anything to operate locally.
  3. Malrex

    Malrex LawnSite Member
    Messages: 13


    I'm in PA too. I've been looking everywhere for what licenses I need for this state--it varies from state to state. What you need is a sales tax number or EIN #. You can apply for this online. You will need business insurance. If you plan to apply fertilizer or herbacides, you will need to take a test and get a license from Dept. of Agriculture--check their website. I'm sorta lucky in that my father-in-law is an accountant...wouldn't hurt to meet with one.

    I didn't apply for a fictious name permit...I think basically that someone who has the same name and had it first could make you change yours...I'm not really worried about it at this point..but if you are going to go big, you may want to look into it, because if you had to change your business name, you could potentially lose some clients with all the confusion of changing your name.

    The only landscape license that I saw is if you are a landscape architect for this a general lawncare or landscaper, not really needed.
  4. 1MajorTom

    1MajorTom Former Moderator
    Messages: 6,073

    DBA- doing business as.
    get one.
  5. Malrex

    Malrex LawnSite Member
    Messages: 13

    Thanks MajorTom. I've done alot of web browsing but sometimes its hard to know what to look for. Some books I read implied that it wasn't all that important to get and my accountant said not to worry about it.
    Thanks for the link.

Share This Page