1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

License in TN

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ccwmlw, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. ccwmlw

    ccwmlw LawnSite Member
    Messages: 69

    Can anybody can tell me how to get a license in TN?
    The state told me to be certified I had to
    1. Have a degree similar to what I wanted to do or
    2. Be certified from another state or
    3. Have worked under someone who is certified for 2 yrs.
    I do not have the first two, and in my area I do not think they will train the competition. Anybody have any ideas?
  2. Hawkeye5

    Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 295

    They didn't tell you the entire story. There is an exemption from the requirements for turf and ornamental applicator and for the license. The catch is that you have to go in and interview before the board will allow you to take the exam. I'm in the process of doing this now. I've talked to some of the folks over at Agriculture and the story is that some education will go along way and that membership in associations is also helpful. I'm taking the Turf Pest Management course from Purdue and have also joined the Tennessee Turf Grass Association. The course from The University of Georgia will work also, it just happens that the Purdue course is slightly less expensive and more focused upon pest control in turf (or so it appears from looking at the course contents).
  3. ccwmlw

    ccwmlw LawnSite Member
    Messages: 69

    How much is the course you are studying?
    Can you keep me posted so I know what to expect?
    Thanks for the help.
  4. Hawkeye5

    Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 295

    $275. Sure, but it will be next spring until I'm ready.
  5. ccwmlw

    ccwmlw LawnSite Member
    Messages: 69

    Do you have a contact or e-mail for Purdue?
    How many courses do you have to take?
  6. Hawkeye5

    Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 295

    Do a search for a thread titled "Turf Management Course". Gopher gives a link to the Purdue course. The actual address is very long.
    There are no set number of courses, Tennessee doesn't provide training courses as some states do. You need to demonstrate knowledge and show you are willing to learn. The HLT license is the only license where you can appear before the board if you don't meet at least one of the exam requirements you listed above. You are given the opportunity to plead your case - tell them what experience you have had, show them you are will to learn and continue learning about pesticides and convince them why you should be given the opportunity to take the exam. Any training would be a part of your case. My information is they always ask what courses/field days/workshops you attended or if you belong to any associations. These items show you have an interest in learning and keeping current with laws and regulations and pesticide label changes. They want to know what you would do if there were a spill or other accident according to TN law. Just DON"T tell them you have been operating without a license or certification. Study materials for the exam, once you are allowed to take it, are avaliable from UT in Knoxville.
  7. ccwmlw

    ccwmlw LawnSite Member
    Messages: 69

    thanks for the information and good luck.
  8. Team Gopher

    Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -
    Messages: 4,040

    Hi CCWMLW,

    Here is the link for Purdue Turfgrass Pest Management Correspondence Course.
  9. tennissippi

    tennissippi LawnSite Member
    from zone 7b
    Messages: 77

    Im not too sure Hawkeye5 really knows what he is talking about here. To be approved to take the license exam in TN you have to have.

    1. A degree in the area you wish to be licensed in;
    2. Work under a licensed operator for a minimum of two years
    and have credable references; or
    3. Be licensed NOT CERTIFIED from another state.
    OF THE ABOVE (STATE LAW)! In other words, be a certified
    applicator in the area you wish to get licensed in.

    To keep your certification you have have 6 CEU (continuing education points) each year or your certification will be worthless.

    The exam fee is $150 and is only offered 4 times a year. There is study material for the exam.

    There is no back door- plead -your -case crap in the state of TN if you dont meet the requirements above. Contact Mary Borthick with TENNESSEE DEPT. OF AGRICULTURE. She is in charge of Certification & Licensing....her number is (615) 837-5310. If you would prefer to write I can give you the address.
  10. ccwmlw

    ccwmlw LawnSite Member
    Messages: 69

    Do you have an e-mail address for her?

Share This Page