1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tatiana919, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. tatiana919

    tatiana919 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 5

    What type of insurance do you need to start a residential lawn care business, and do you have to have a business license?

    Any other special requirements?

  2. steve122

    steve122 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 208

    business license depends on your local city, county ordinances. You'll need chemical applicators license from state if you wish to apply chemicals on the lawns. Insurance, talk to an agent, but if you are going to have employees you need to carry workmen's comp, then you should have auto liability, with a business use rider, completed products liability insurance, an umbrella policy is cheap way to increase your protection. You could/should check with your state unemployment insurance bureau, here in Illinois, as a privately held, sole proprietor I was able to pay unemployment ins. premiums on myself and workers, and then draw unemployment benefits in the winter. I do the same thing now that I am incorporated. Takes about 2 weeks of UCB checks in winter to recover premium, the rest is gravy.
    You need to check with a bookkeeper?accountant about quarterly payments to IRS so you don't get hit with a penalty for underpaying taxes at end of year, plus if you make quarterly payments it isn't such a big bite at tax time. I'm sure others will have more good advice.

Share This Page