1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

License Requirements in Ohio

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Tim Enix, Dec 17, 2001.

  1. Tim Enix

    Tim Enix LawnSite Member
    Messages: 26

    Could someone please tell me the requirements in Ohio to expand my business into fertilizer application.
  2. GroundKprs

    GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,969

    Tim, you can get a lot more general info like this by a search. I went to the search button above, and searched for Ohio in the Pesticide & Fertilizer Application forum. Got 24 threads, and I bet one of these (except the first one that is yours) will have exactly what you need. If you don't want to try the search yourself, just <a href="http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=51643&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending">CLICK HERE</a>
  3. 1grnlwn

    1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,261

    Tim try the Ohio Department of Agriculture. In Illinois they (Dept. of Ag.)conduct the training and testing for the licenses.

    MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO
    Messages: 665

    First, call the Ohio dept. of Ag and request the study materials for category #8. Then, study hard until you know it. 8 is not too hard to pass. I am now studying for horticulture. (vegetation control is included in the hort. category, not lawn). It's tough!!!
    Then, you will be given a list of locations and dates as to where to take the test. When you pass, you will need to buy pesticide liability insurance. Then a pest business licence ($100) and pay for your first year ($30).
    Hopefully you have assessed equipment costs and have located a product dealer near you. (if not, shipping can be expensive)
    Finally. you need customers. I wish this part was as easy as the above.
  5. 1grnlwn

    1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,261

    You will probably have to show proof of insurance to get license. Its 1 million in Illinois.
  6. ohiolawnguy

    ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 397

    as matthew stated previous, category 8 is the the licensing requirement in ohio. i would also suggest, since you shall be taking that test anyway, to get the ornmaental insect and weed control study packet( catgory 6a). this will allow you to use pesticides, and non selective herbicides as well. might as well kill two birds with one stone.
  7. EJK2352

    EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,150

    You should also consider taking the test for category #5. This is Industrial Vegetation control and you will need it for spraying non-turf areas, such as gravel parking lots. :) ;) :) ED

Share This Page