License to use Roundup etc

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bergman Roof Cleaning, Aug 31, 2008.


Do you have the license needed to spray Roundup

Poll closed Sep 30, 2008.
  1. Yes and I have been checked by the state!

    7 vote(s)
  2. Yes, but never been checked

    21 vote(s)
  3. No and I have been busted!

    2 vote(s)
  4. No and I don't feel in danger of there being any problems

    31 vote(s)
  1. Bergman Roof Cleaning

    Bergman Roof Cleaning LawnSite Member
    Messages: 17

    I just got started 1 month ago [Aug 1st]
    I have a Gravely 48Z that I got new and 2 weedeaters, 2 blowers and a hedge trimmer + odds and ends tools.
    I am now doung 6 lawns at an average of $35.00 a cut
    I cut and weedeat and blow the debris off.
    Now, I have an opportunity to take on 20 small residential landscape maintainance jobs from a real estate company friend.
    One problem- I don't have a license to use Roundup and that's the biggest part of the job.
    I did them once and then heard about the licensing thing.
    Do most or all of you get a license for that?
    Is it likely to be busted for it?
    I am a Pressure Cleaner and work economy in my area { PORT CHARLOTTE} is so poor, I can't make a living anymore for myself and my son, who has worked with me 16 years now.
    That's why I added the Lawn service work.
    This license is kind of discouraging, as I see it is not a simple thing to get.
  2. stevenf

    stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,612

    I have a small sprayer that I use in driveway cracks and occationally spray in a flowerbed before I add mulch or something of that sort. I plan to get my license during the winter so I can offer fert in commercial acounts.
  3. DaveinSWFL

    DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member
    Messages: 178

    I work in Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area as well. I am licensed to spray round up and would recommend that you get licensed. Most of your weekly/year round accounts will expect weed control. I am starting my second year in the business. I am not an expert by any means, but if I can help you in any way PM me and I will see what I can do. Good luck to you.
  4. ericmcj31

    ericmcj31 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 404

    Licensing varies state by state (and even could by county) but in GA there is a general standards test-that everyone has to pass (from round up sprayers, to pest control, to just about anyone that sprays some kind of potentially harmful liquid). Then there is the particular category. I believe the landscape one is called ornamental landscape and turf or something like that-I'm sure that FL ones are similar.
  5. david shumaker

    david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 721

    In Virginia, I had to take a Core Test. This is a basic test about safety, etc. Then there are separate tests for different applications. For lawn chemical application I had to pass the Turf Test. For schrubs and plants you have to take the Oranamental Pest Control test. For applying chemicals along fence lines, roadways, etc. I have to take the test for Right of Way Pest Control. Also, you have to get a special license and prove that you are insured. If you don't get alot of request for chemical applications, it probably isn't worth the time and money to get certified. It would be better to sub the chemical work out. The Dept. of Agriculture in your state should have information and forms on the internet for getting certified.
  6. Puddle of Oil

    Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,203

    i maintain a lawn at a local police dept and they dont seem to care that im using round up let alone any other chemical.

    J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 931

    do you know the law in ohio?
  8. Horsepower Lawns

    Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member
    Messages: 213

    I was told you get to see inside the station for spraying with out a cert.
  9. LushGreenLawn

    LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,120

    Keep in mind that the laws are Federal, not State laws. The States responsibility is enforce the Federal Laws. While there are slight variations from State to State because the States have the option to make the laws tougher, they cannot make them more lax. Everyone spraying anykind of pesticide on a lawn in the United States that they do not own is required to have a pesticide license.

    Round-Up is a pesticide, as are all herbicides.

    J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 931

    one more way for them to make money off the working class, anyone can buy it at lowes and use it what bullshit is that ................

Share This Page