Lawn Care Forum banner

Do you have the license needed to spray Roundup

• Yes and I have been checked by the state!

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Yes, but never been checked

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • No and I have been busted!

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • No and I don't feel in danger of there being any problems

Votes: 31 50.8%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got started 1 month ago [Aug 1st]
I have a Gravely 48Z that I got new and 2 weedeaters, 2 blowers and a hedge trimmer + odds and ends tools.
I am now doung 6 lawns at an average of $35.00 a cut
I cut and weedeat and blow the debris off.
Now, I have an opportunity to take on 20 small residential landscape maintainance jobs from a real estate company friend.
One problem- I don't have a license to use Roundup and that's the biggest part of the job.
I did them once and then heard about the licensing thing.
Do most or all of you get a license for that?
Is it likely to be busted for it?
I am a Pressure Cleaner and work economy in my area { PORT CHARLOTTE} is so poor, I can't make a living anymore for myself and my son, who has worked with me 16 years now.
That's why I added the Lawn service work.
This license is kind of discouraging, as I see it is not a simple thing to get.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have a small sprayer that I use in driveway cracks and occationally spray in a flowerbed before I add mulch or something of that sort. I plan to get my license during the winter so I can offer fert in commercial acounts.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I work in Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area as well. I am licensed to spray round up and would recommend that you get licensed. Most of your weekly/year round accounts will expect weed control. I am starting my second year in the business. I am not an expert by any means, but if I can help you in any way PM me and I will see what I can do. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Licensing varies state by state (and even could by county) but in GA there is a general standards test-that everyone has to pass (from round up sprayers, to pest control, to just about anyone that sprays some kind of potentially harmful liquid). Then there is the particular category. I believe the landscape one is called ornamental landscape and turf or something like that-I'm sure that FL ones are similar.

·
Registered
725 Posts
In Virginia, I had to take a Core Test. This is a basic test about safety, etc. Then there are separate tests for different applications. For lawn chemical application I had to pass the Turf Test. For schrubs and plants you have to take the Oranamental Pest Control test. For applying chemicals along fence lines, roadways, etc. I have to take the test for Right of Way Pest Control. Also, you have to get a special license and prove that you are insured. If you don't get alot of request for chemical applications, it probably isn't worth the time and money to get certified. It would be better to sub the chemical work out. The Dept. of Agriculture in your state should have information and forms on the internet for getting certified.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
i maintain a lawn at a local police dept and they dont seem to care that im using round up let alone any other chemical.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Keep in mind that the laws are Federal, not State laws. The States responsibility is enforce the Federal Laws. While there are slight variations from State to State because the States have the option to make the laws tougher, they cannot make them more lax. Everyone spraying anykind of pesticide on a lawn in the United States that they do not own is required to have a pesticide license.

Round-Up is a pesticide, as are all herbicides.

·
Registered
365 Posts
can't the customer buy the roundup and the sprayer and keep it at their place...and then you can spray it for them at no charge????? as long as you dont but it or have the equipment and get pay for doing it it legal here...but to buy it and keep it and the sprayer on your truck you mush have a lic. but before you get one you MUST have worked for another firm spraying with their lic for over 2 years thats the hard part if you only ever work for yourself..we get by with it because we only spray cable boxes...mailboxes..signs..guardrails...poles along rightofways with no plants in them...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
im sorry i left out some info, my family owns the building, i do NOT use chemicals on any of my other lawns. just round up around that building.

·
Registered
26 Posts
one more way for them to make money off the working class, anyone can buy it at lowes and use it what bull**** is that ................
You're not kiddin! Anyway these suckweeds can make money off us they sometimes seem to take it to the MAX. Tax this, tax that, license this ,that and, oh yea, dont forget to license and tax that too!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
can't the customer buy the roundup and the sprayer and keep it at their place...and then you can spray it for them at no charge????? as long as you dont but it or have the equipment and get pay for doing it it legal here...but to buy it and keep it and the sprayer on your truck you mush have a lic. but before you get one you MUST have worked for another firm spraying with their lic for over 2 years thats the hard part if you only ever work for yourself..we get by with it because we only spray cable boxes...mailboxes..signs..guardrails...poles along rightofways with no plants in them...
No.

You don't have to have 2 years experience to get the Round Up license.

You CAN NOT spray anything you listed, even with the Round up license. You can only spray in beds.

If you are not licensed, you WILL get stopped. It is only a matter of time. I have been stopped twice in the past 2 years.
The license is easy to get. But the fine for not being licensed can shut your business down.

·
Registered
365 Posts
no I dont need a lic. the ag. dept head in both towns pull the code up and I can spray what I said but you cant spray any plants you must have been with another spray company first for 2 years to be able to do beds and its not a regular roundup lic. you need for bed areas...

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I'm with Grits, you DO need the license. Why do we know this? Because we are licensed and had to learn pesticide law as part of our training.

It does not matter who ownes the pesticide, it matters who is spraying it. Even if you are spraying for free, you still need a license if its not your property.

BTW, once your in this business for a while, you will lose the "Anything to get the govornment money" attitude. I wish homeowners had to go through some sort of certification/training. Homeowners have know idea how the products they use can impact the health of the people around them if they are not used properly.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well Lush and Grits you look like you are both right...bet it been awhile someone say that on here...anyway just read up on the roundup lic. it does look like I should have one....BUT quess what I don't spray anything so I legal but if I were to than yes...we weedeat everything just one of these days I want to spray well I been saying that for years...I did take a class because I was going to get my lic. but the treacher and he been treaching it for over 25 years said I dont need one..but took the class becasue I wanted at one time to get my aquatic lic. and needed the point for that lic. and yes in class he went over it than and said I didn't need it for roundup....because as he said what I wanted it for was what I told you I fell in the between the requirement...That was like 2 years ago and since then I asked the next county over and she said the same...thanks again not wanting to piss someone off on here because we are here to help each other and to learn...

·
Banned
7,474 Posts
I don't need the hassle of getting busted for not having a license to spray so I just don't spray! :) I tell my customer's that if they need any places sprayed that they would have to do that their self. I'll eventually apply for them and do what I need to do to get them.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.