Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Bama_66, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. Bama_66

    Bama_66 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 18

    Would I need to get a license to apply anything that can be purchased at Home Depot?
  2. kickin sum grass

    kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 628

    if you are doing it for profit YES. Maybe not plain fert (that is without preemergence or merit etc) depending on your area. Roundup is roundup no matter where you buy it.
  3. Bama_66

    Bama_66 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 18

    Thanx Kickin.
  4. bob

    bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE
    Messages: 4,260

  5. SWD

    SWD LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 988

    Bama, I just last week, got off the phone with the head counsel for TDA.
    For over the counter stuff, you do not need to have a license from TDA.
    However, you will then have to have a license from Structural Pest Control Board.
    Record keeping is mandatory, regardless of what, where and when you apply.
  6. GeorgiaGrassMan

    GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member
    Messages: 147

    What? I think you were given bad information. Certain pesticide laws vary from state to state, but all states must comply with FIFRA and FIFRA states that if you apply ANY pesticide for hire, you or your company must be licensed by your state. Considering the substantial nature of the fines for applying pesticides for hire without a license, I would want to double check that information. Don't think you won't get caught either. Most guys who had to go to the expense and trouble of studying for the license and getting insured will turn in unlicensed applicators in a heart beat. I know I will.
  7. Wells

    Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT
    Messages: 0

    I'm not sure how the process works in Texas but i'll tell you how it works here in Salt Lake.

    A few weeks ago I called the Utah Department of Agriculture to ask the exact question that you are asking. Do i need a license to spread fertilizer that i purchase from Home Depot such as Scott's brand fertilzer?

    The answer is: as long as your only spreading straight fertilizer, then you do not need to be licensed. but if you use fertilizer with insect control or weed control in it (ie an emergent) then you will need to have a license.

    Around here a license consists of taking a test to certify and then once certified the renewal is every three years, at which point you need to re-certify. Certification for the three three period runs about $60.00.
  8. bobbygedd

    bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ
    Messages: 10,178

    i got news for ya, keep this in mind: NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE USING, if u r using it for the purpose of controlling weeds, or insects, u need a license. example: one guy had an organic grub treatment"milky spore", he thought since it was "non pesticide", he could use it without a license. wrong! he was using it with the intent of controlling grubs, which u need a license to do. another one: a guy was using vinigar(the same stuff u put on your salad) to kill weeds. guess what? u do need a license, y? because your intent is to use it as a herbicide. check first. ah, screw it, actually, your chances of getting caught are slim to none, the d.e p. is so under manned, you will be fine. just dont hurt no body, or yourself. p.s, the mach is cool, if u apply it without a dust mask, after like 10 apps, your whole face gets numb(though im not suggesting u do this) remember, safety first!
  9. SWD

    SWD LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 988

    GeorgiaGrassMan, read my post before replying. In the state of Texas, there exists two licensing agencies. They do overlap a bit, and where one does not cover, the other does.
    I am completely correct for Texas, for over the counter stuff, one does not need a license with TDA.
    You then need to read the next line that states a license from Structual Pest Control Board is needed.
    The key to this state is record keeping and accountability.
    I am still trying to get an answer from a state Rep about organic treatments.
    Once I get an answer, I'll post the results.
    This state has eleven catagories for TDA, and TDA alone. This covers everything from Turf and Ornamental to Rangeland/pastureland/grazing land controls.
    Bobby, on the organic part, I am still checking. I have posted before about the license part for organics, however, from the state agencies I have discussed organics with, changes are occurring. I will post names and dates once acquired.
  10. bobbygedd

    bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ
    Messages: 10,178

    sw, i have checked. and in nj, all i said above was what was told to me by the nj. d.e.p seems crazy i know, but this is the law

Share This Page