1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Duncan IN, Nov 20, 2000.

  1. Duncan IN

    Duncan IN LawnSite Member
    Messages: 149

    After reading many posts and talking to friends I hear that I need a license to apply fertilizer to yards. Is this true? I currently just mow and offer no other services, but I would like to expand to increase my income. What do I need to be able to do this? If I do need a license, how and where do I go about getting one? All info will be greatly appreciated. What are some services that i might want to get into to increase my income?

    Levi Duncan

    Lone Tree Lawn Care

  2. MWHC

    MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming
    Messages: 218

    In most states, you can apply plain fertilizer without a liscense until you are blue in the face. When you start adding weed control, insect control, fungus control, etc. you need a liscence.

    To get a liscence, you have to pass a variety of tests. They are usually offered through your local county extension office. Are you going to be able to go down and pass the exams without training? Probably not. They usually offer classes to help. Is it worth it? Yes.

    Fertilizer application is one of the more profitable areas of lawn care maintenance. Is the liscense worth having? Yes, it helps you apply products correctly, you can buy products homeowners cannot, it hopefully helps save our environment from pesticides that are applied incorrectly. It also seperates you from the "srubs" that give the lawn care business a bad name.

  3. GroundKprs

    GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,969

    Pesticide licensing authority in IN is Office of the Indiana State Chemist. Web address: http://www.isco.purdue.edu/ . There are laws regulating sale of fertilizer in IN that you must comply with also, but license is not needed for fertilizer only. But you will not find many clients who want only fert and not weed control.
    In IN you must work as a trainee (registered technician=RT). You must pass a general test for the RT license, then you can apply general use pesticides under supervision of a Licensed Applicator; after a time in training, you can take the core and category exams for full licensing.
  4. John DiMartino

    John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,555

    In NY you can apply fertilizer without a license and pesticides(general use) on your own property or property you lease wihtout a license.If I were you,I would get the process started now,I think you might need to be working under the license of a certified applicator for 2 yrs to get it,thats how it is here.
  5. Duncan IN

    Duncan IN LawnSite Member
    Messages: 149

    I am in IN and how long does it take to get the license? Will I have to work with someone else with a license while I try to get mine? How hard is it to get it?

    Levi Duncan
  6. Skookum

    Skookum LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 675

    Duncan IN,

    In Indiana you do need a license for Tank Mixed Fertilizers just not for granular.

    The pesticide applicator license, when I took it a few years back, you needed to first hold a RT license for a period of 90 days while working under a licensed applicator. This is tough if you are already in business like I was at the time. How can you work for someone else at your busiest time of year? But, there is a loop hole, you can hire a applicator to work for you, then you can use him to get yours.

    If you call the State Chemist Office, ask for Carl Rew. He is a real nice guy and he handles all the exam and certification stuff. The lady that usually answers the phone, if she still works there, is a real b----, she told me a few things in the past that were wrong! Do not let her tell you anything, just ask to speak to Carl.

    Spend the money and the time and go to the classes that Purdue offers for the tests. It is a one day deal where you take the test at the end of the day while it is all fresh in your head. It is just studying the exam, the'll even tell you things like "You will not see this on the test" or "If I was taking the test today, I would remember this". It is worth the money and the day.
  7. GroundKprs

    GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,969

    Duncan, the normal way to get a license is to get a RT certification while working for a lawn care company, then test for your full pesticide license. This is because the lawn care industry in IN is considered as the educational body for lawn pesticides. There are other ways to get the license, but these means require education, experience, and ability to pass the normal testing procedure. If you are sincere about getting a license, please email me with a description of your present business: time in bsns, size, and scope of your present services. Couldn't find a post from you in "Who? Where? What did you start with?"

Share This Page