1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Licensed and Insured?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by eazy, Mar 26, 2004.

  1. eazy

    eazy LawnSite Member
    from Texas
    Messages: 51

    Have a question, When people say that there company is Licensed and insured, what does that exactly mean?
    I know the insured part, but what about the licensed part (in pesticides or some type of school)?

    Just wanted to get some information on what everyone is Licensed in!!

    Thanks for your time,
  2. lawnman_scott

    lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,547

    It all depends on the company. What do you have to do to write licensed and insured? Get a marker.
  3. eazy

    eazy LawnSite Member
    from Texas
    Messages: 51

    Anymore information?

  4. James Cormier

    James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma
    Messages: 1,217

    Well in the fert world you need a pesticide licence to apply pesticides and in general you need a business licence to open a business, at least here in my town, if you want to run your business you are required to resgister with the town as such.

    This may not be the case everywhere and even in Mass there are far more fly-by-nighters that dont bother with following the rules, usually because it requires more money to do it right.
  5. Randy Scott

    Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,915

    They probably don't even know. They just heard someone else say it. I've already called someone out on this and they had no clue. Idiots.

    As stated before, licensing would be a local ordinance for operating your business. We, in fact, have none where we are. Or as you stated, a pesticide license.
  6. Wells

    Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT
    Messages: 0

    I refer to being licensed as compling with the States ordinances of registering my business with the Department of Commerce and applying for and obtaining a business license for the City in which I operate out of.

    Fully licensed would include the above license and your professional licenses such as a landscaping license or a pesticide license.
  7. eazy

    eazy LawnSite Member
    from Texas
    Messages: 51

    Ok, thanks for the great input. Just trying to straighten that up!!

  8. hosejockey2002

    hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,195

    State contractor's license, city business license, fidelity bond meeting state requirements, cerificate of liability insurance meeting state requirements. I put my contractor's license number in my ads, but anyone can make one up. The ironic thing is, I have NEVER had a customer ask to see my credentials.

Share This Page