1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B LAWN CARE, Apr 2, 2001.


    B LAWN CARE LawnSite Member
    from nc
    Messages: 12

  2. smburgess

    smburgess LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 467

    Here in Chesterfield county, Virginia, I need a class B contractor's state license, and a County Landscape Contractor's license in order to do business. Also I have a State Business Pesticide License and a State Pesticide Applicator license. Oh yes a State Fertilizer Applicator license. I'm sure every state is different, even some counties are different here in the Old Dominion.
  3. jrebeiro

    jrebeiro LawnSite Member
    Messages: 94

    I can only speak for my state NJ where licensing is not available. There may be an industry license available like there are for construction contractors. They may also be referring to pesticide licenses. But who knows... each state is different.

  4. AltaLawnCare

    AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 961

    The best thing to do is to call your local county or city government office and ask. Check the phone book under local government, you may have to dial a main number and ask for the specific office.
  5. jasonp

    jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama
    Messages: 147

    Here in Bama, court house for county lic and to the city hall for a city license. My city lic was 105.00, and my county was 18.00(lowest contracter lic).
  6. Fantasy Lawns

    Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,912

    we are just required to maintain a "occupational or business license" ....no state or county requirments to the business "function" when it comes to lawn care .....pest control is tightly regulated
  7. jasonp

    jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama
    Messages: 147

    here we aint required to get the county to do lawn care but it has something to do with the bidding on jobs you have to have a contractors lic and they charge you by how much you make a year. Last year being my first year they just gave me the lowest cost lic. but the city stuck it to me.
  8. gusbuster

    gusbuster LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,926

    Sometimes, I think the rules that govern California are extreme, but after reading above, California is tame.

    A C-27 (Landscape Contractor) license is required for any job over the amount of $300. This includes ground maintenance as well as landscaping.

  9. KirbysLawn

    KirbysLawn Millenium Member
    Messages: 3,485

  10. summitgroundskeeping

    summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 410

    Here you only need to be licenced to do comercial property. But, to get licienced you need to apply for a contractors licience. Get at least a $5,000 bond, min. of $1,000,000 insurance, and stuff like that.

Share This Page