licensing and experience

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hubb44, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. hubb44

    hubb44 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 2

    i have a lawn and landscape company that has a lot of customers in two states. we are adding spraying and fertilizing to our services. i am just now trying to figure out how to get my license. i have no experience with herbicides or anything of that nature. the testing is april 12th for both states. does anyone have suggestions for what i should do for the experience part of my applications. what do i need to do to get accepted to take the exams. besides working for someone is there anything i can do so they will accept me. i make too much money to work for someone else. thanks. hubb44
  2. cemars

    cemars LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 387

    Maybe you need to hire a licesenced applicator to do this work.
  3. Williams Services

    Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 269

    Ditto on cemars' comment. There's a lot more that goes into chem apps than just possessing a license. There are plenty of guys here that are supposed to be licensed that are hacks. Some suppliers seem to be clueless ...

    Anyhow, you need to be familiar with certain principles and characteristics of chemicals/chem classes/plant responses, etc. You may be raking in the dough, but you can put a hurting on your business real quick if you jump in head first and nuke a few landscapes.
  4. Macvols

    Macvols LawnSite Member
    Messages: 54

    Then follow all Directions!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (on the pesticides label you are using)
    Simply reading and following Direction precisely!

    This is not Rocket Science but there are many on here that will disagree!
    Opinions vary!
  5. GroundKprs

    GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,969

    Check with your state regulatory office, and it's better to go in person unless you know someone there. They may not be as helpful as my state, but if you get a responsive person they may be able to give you some advice.

    I have helped other solo operators in the past by putting them on my payroll, and then they can get their trainee license. They worked for me when they made applications on their own clients' properties, but the client paid me for the service. Of course we started out working together. They could make fert apps by themselves, but I had to supervise pest apps. However, at the time, our state considered supervision to be direct voice contact, so cell phone contact was acceptable after they had some experience with pest apps.

    So I got all the revenue for the applications, and he got his required experience on his own properties. When he passed the test for full license, his business took over as the application provider on his properties. Again, this was approved by the state regulators office before we even started the arrangement. Not necessary in our state now, because they have a special training class of a few days - after studying ahead and taking the class, you are allowed to take the test for full license. But, less than 50% pass. It is still better to work with someone to get real experience and understanding of pesticide use.
  6. Green Dreams

    Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas
    Messages: 593

    Nothing beats experience. Lots of guys think they have it. I'd suggest working hard to find someone you can trust to run that part.

    My boss at my old job had his degrees and licenses. He still wasn't much of an applicator. But he was good at counting money...good luck
  7. Garth

    Garth LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 382

    I was subcontracted to a company a few years ago before I started working with developmentally disabled adults. I was put on a $2000 retainer and if they needed me I'd come up. Did a large property once. Almost eighty acres. Made $15k for a total of four days of spraying QuikPro, Scythe, and Spike. Do yourself a favour, however. Make sure, if you subcontract, that your sprayer is licensed, has all the insurance requirements, MSDS sheets, and safety equipment. If your state requires you to have X amount of experience, then avoid a nasty situation and get it before you start applying chemicals to someone's property. There's alot of factors that need to be considered for spraying, not the least of which, is safety.

Share This Page