Licensing In all States!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GroundKprs, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. TheGrassBandit

    TheGrassBandit LawnSite Member
    Messages: 86

    hmmm.... that is interesting
  2. johnap104

    johnap104 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 50

    Thanks a lot, I am considering this as an add on and the list you provided was a big help. I want to make sure I am following all laws.
  3. lawnjock313

    lawnjock313 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 1

    Hey everyone. im new here. ive been in landscaping for almost ten years now and im trying to make the jump to chem application. can anyone point me in the right direction as far as procedure or requirements go in Maryland? any help would be appriciated. thanx!!!
  4. Elite Lawn Care

    Elite Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    Messages: 110

    This is some info I can offer from Colorado. It took me a year and a half to get this answer. Basicly straight fert application that is deposited on the ground, not sprayed. Does not need a License. Herbicides are considered pesticides and by EPA regulations are controlled as hazardous (this is for all states). Special permits and certification are needed. (which I agree with) plain old Fertilizers such as Ammonia Sulfate, complete Ferts (30-15-5 and such), and soil admendments do not need special permits. However, the extension office I worked with to find this out and the state office could not find guidelines on this in writing.
    Here is the link for Colorado:

    With the chemical side of things I feel the same about it as I do in the Lawn Care biz, be fully certified and trianed, be licensed and Insured for ALL the services you offer.
  5. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    There is some more research you should do before you put your plan together. You're on the right track to get the testing and such, but you will also have to have a certain time period of experience working under a licensed firm or company to aquire your own business license. . For your state, it is atleast 90 days working under that category, or 1 year under some of the other categories.
  6. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    Disregard this last was designated for someone in another thread.
  7. BQLC

    BQLC LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 574

    thanks for postin that link
  8. JayD

    JayD LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,062


    Would you please tell me about fertilizers on lawns in Indiana. Do I need licensing for just this?
    Please email me at
    Thank You,
  9. Grassmechanic

    Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,697

    Jim's long gone from this site. Check with you state department of agriculture.
  10. ATVracer

    ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana
    Messages: 346


    You do not need a license to apply straight fertilizer. Anything with pesticide such as a weed and feed type Scotts junk etc. require a license. You will have to take at least 2 tests(core and 3B) as well as have experience. There is also a 2 day class that eliminates the expreience requirement. Search for OISC or Office Indiana State Chemist in a search engine and that should point you in the right direction. The classes and testing are through Purdue.

Share This Page