licensing in mass.?

northbeast

LawnSite Member
Looking to get my pest/feet license. I live in northshore mass. My questions are should I take prep course and where are places to take courses and get license?

Hissing Cobra

LawnSite Senior Member
The first thing you'll need to do is contact the U-Mass bookstore to purchase your study materials. These study materials will prepare you for the actual test to get your "Applicator's License". You must have this license for two years before you can become a "Certified Applicator". These study materials can be purchased from their website at www.umassextensionbookstore.com

1. Core Manual (2ndEd.) w/ MA Core Supplement (2000) $44.00

2. Massachusetts Pesticide Control Act (1978, amended 2000) (Chapter 132B M.G.L.) - $6.00

3. Massachusetts Pesticide Regulations (1979, amended 2010) (333 CMR 1.00-14.00) - $9.00

Your total investment in the study materials will cost you $59.00 + 6.25% tax.

From there, you can study the materials yourself, take some courses or workshops through the Pesticide Bureau, or contact your local Lesco/John Deere Landscapes location to see if they're offering study classes at their location over the winter. Once you feel that you know the "in's & out's" of the study materials, you can then schedule your test. The Massachusetts Pesticide website is actually pretty good and everything you need to know will be right there - including the scheduling of your test, driving directions to the testing sites, dates for the tests, etc.... The website address is www.mass.gov/agr/pesticides

It will cost you $75.00 to schedule and take the test. If you pass the test, you will then need to submit proof of insurance and an additional $100.00 before the state will issue your license. That license is good for 1 year and must be renewed yearly, at a cost of $100.00 per year. Even though your license is good for a year and can be renewed every year (providing you have the necessary credits), you must also attend "Continuing Education" programs during the course of the year because every three years, the Pesticide Bureau will audit you and you'll have to show proof that you attended these classes. The proof will be in the form of credits, which you earn for every class that you take. For the basic "Applicator's License" which you'll need for at least the first two years before you can become "Certified", you will need to show 6 contact hours over a 3 year period. Your nearby Lesco/John Deere Landscapes location participates in a yearly "Winter Conference & Trade Show", where they put on a series of classes all in the same day, where you can earn up to 5 credits at one time, making it easy for you to obtain these necessary credits. Without these credits, your license cannot be renewed.

Check out the Massachusetts Pesticide Bureau's website above for all of your information and good luck!

Last edited:

rodrigolessard11

LawnSite Member
I have a small business, so first I need to get Applicator’s License and then only after 2 years I can get the Commercial Certification? Can I work for my company without the Commercial Certification? Thanks

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

LawnSite Bronze Member
Contact your local Lesco, john deers landscapes. They normally do prep classes and can help get books etc. They have always been more than helpful to me and my company without fail.
Posted via Mobile Device

rodrigolessard11

LawnSite Member
Thank you,I will do it tomorrow.