1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Licensing in NewYork

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Cooper725, May 3, 2006.

  1. Cooper725

    Cooper725 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 105

    Ok, I am sure once I ask this everyone will respond with use the search option. But I have done that and read until my eyes are almost bleeding and still has not answered my question.

    Anyway, I have a small lawn maintenance company and alot of my customers have been asking me if I spray for Bag worms or Tent worms. I have never done any type of fertilization or used Pesticide besides good old round up. Wont do anything I am not licensed for. So my question is this, what type of license do you need to use chemicals such as Liquid Sevin, Orthrene, or any of the other chewing insect chemicals? I know every state is different so this question is sent out to the knowledgeable New york Pesticide applicators. Thxs for your help.
  2. upidstay

    upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT
    Messages: 1,575

    Contact your ag. extension station, local Lesco, or dept of environmental protection. They can help you.
  3. Rhett@Gregson-Clark

    Rhett@Gregson-Clark Sponsor
    Messages: 36

    To apply pesticides (including Round-up) for hire in New York State you need to be a registered pesticide business. To do that you also first need to be a licensed applicator which means you would need to pass the core and category 3a (turf and ornamentals) exam. Certain requirements need to be met prior to taking the exam. For more info go to www.dec.state.ny.us/ Depending on what county you are in there may be further regulations on prenotifying neighbors prior to pesticide applications. For this year you may want to consider subbing that work out. If you do decide to pursue your license we would love to help you with your spraying equipment needs. (see Gregson-Clark sponsor link above) Good luck!
  4. Chris@CRU

    Chris@CRU LawnSite Member
    Messages: 72

    The Florida Department of Agriculture states treatment of tent catapillars and bag worms is prune affected limbs, those with thetents, and burn. Preventative treatment should be done early spring.
  5. turf hokie

    turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,751


Share This Page