1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Licensing In Ohio??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by FiNaL, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. FiNaL

    FiNaL LawnSite Member
    Messages: 31

    Hey i have a few questions about licensing in ohio i was told that i have to have a service Vendors license in ohio to go mow peoples lawns does any one know if that is true or not? I just started my business 3 weeks back and got one weekly account i'm from Arcanum,Ohio Just outside of Dayton so would i need a license to just mow and trim and clean up peoples yards? what if i were going to do a commericial lawn? like a small local business would i need a license then? And is it a lawn that you have to Register your business name right away? and one more question does anyone know the laws here in ohio or in Troy ohio or Greenville ohio About going door to door and leaving your business cards on peoples doors?? any and all help would be really great i wanna try to at least get a few accounts this year and then really start next year.
  2. WeatherMan

    WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 692

    Hello to answear your question you must have a service license to mow even the little old ladys lawn next store if you are being paid for it, (The cost of the LIC. is only $25.00) And INS. My first year I broke a Sliding glass door twice when a rock was thrown from my mower , and boy was I glad I had INS. and Pay your tax's for the money you collect because the gov. will come after you if you dont. and a Service Lic. Holder can get alot of discounts at local nurseys and landscape supply Stores normal discount between 15% and 20% Anyway Good Luck on your new Buss.
  3. heygrassman

    heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 509

    Here is a link that may help you:


    I am not too sure of what a "Service License" is refering to. I believe that this may refer to the license to collect and remit sales tax.

    In addition to state regulations, there could be local regs regarding licensing. I would defer to local officials for that..

    Good Luck!
  4. Mr.Stripey Lawn Care

    Mr.Stripey Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    Messages: 64

    Arcanum Eh? Darke County is in a state of emergency right. Those storms really must have clobbered you guys. I am originally from greenville.
  5. MacLawnCo

    MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,847


    dont waste your time coming down to Troy. Between Greentech, Lawntenders, Evergreen, Chaneys, and a few others...there are no decent acounts left for the taking.

    To answer your question, yes you must have a service vendors liscense to do any type of lawn work. This allows you to collect sales tax, which for me just went up to 7%.
  6. FiNaL

    FiNaL LawnSite Member
    Messages: 31

    hey thanks for the info. Yep in darke we got hit pretty bad by the storms mainly the rain was the main thing in Darke one day it was flooded and then it started going down and then my yard flooded all over again it was crazy but the rain didn't get into my mowing at all really. Hey MacLawn so i shouldn't try getting any accounts in Troy? Where would you recommened a good place to get some accounts at? i've been posting flyers up like in the small towns like ludlow falls and west milton and Arcanum and i posted in Troy and Tipp city and vandalia I haven't put any in Greenvile tho but i am thinking about doing that too soon maybe. So its a for sure thing that you need a Vendors Serbvice license? and that lets you mow anywhere? I got another Question do any of you guys know what the laws are like leaving business cards at peoples doors???????
    or going door to door? i've seen alot of New houses being built and i would like to really try to get some of those home ower accounts. Whats a good way to do that? and also Do you have to charge a sales Tax??????? What if your making less than $5,0000 a year??????? because i have been told different things.
  7. WeatherMan

    WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 692

    If you make less than 5000 a year which I hope you make 10 times that you dont need to worry about sales tax. Set your goals high!!!! Going door to door and placing cards on doors I know it is not allowed where I live Had the cops give me a vist but it is allowed in many places just call your city hall and ask.

    Good Luck :angel:
  8. MacLawnCo

    MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,847


    Im dumbfounded why you are advertising all over two counties for residential work????:confused: :confused: I cant tell you where to look for work, other than close to home. Ill just say this: my furthest acount is 4 miles from my home/shop. Density is key to big money.
  9. Mr.Stripey Lawn Care

    Mr.Stripey Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    Messages: 64

    Tipp City, Piqua, Troy, and vandalia aren't that far really. Shoot up 49 and take 70 to 75. Hell take 571 to Tipp city. Maybe a 35 or 40 minute drive. When I pick up accounts, they will all be at least 55 to 60 miles away. You have to go where the money is. Like you said MAcLawn, density.

    Arcanum is going to be slim pickings, just because it isn't a town that has a lot of substantially wealthy people that are willing to pay 30 bucks for there lawn to get cut, and I would have to say there probably is about the same in Greenville. Banks and Dr. offices are about all you will find in Greenville, and it is the largest city in Darke County.

    Most new subdivisions have mail boxes at the end of the drives, make up some fliers, and drive through there with the little door hangar bags, (order of the net) and put them on the flags. Hit that ritzy subdivision right up the road the after you turn left off 49 onto 40. Bound to find someone there that isn't happy with there service.

    Good luck. Keep your prices up if you have to look and equipment that people are willing to pay for.
  10. Paradise Landscapes

    Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 959

    I have 8 years exp. for a Landscape Contractor. He wouln'd be straight with me at all. I have a vendors' licence. Bought Insurance. (1 mil.)
    However, No irrigation, Chemicals, Tree services or Lighting. we do everything else.

    1). Is there any other licenses needed?
    2). Do I need a Landscape Con. Lic?

Share This Page