Licensing in Texas

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by millenium_123, Jan 6, 2008.

  1. millenium_123

    millenium_123 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 186

    Just wondering if anyone knows about licensing in Texas? Thanks guys..
  2. Toy2

    Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,924

    For what? Mowing? No, just buy a mower and let people know what you are doing, friends, neighbors, etc..

    Good luck!!
  3. millenium_123

    millenium_123 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 186

    Thats what I've always thought, but just wanted to ask around. Thanks!!
  4. bohiaa

    bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,220

    make sure to get insurance, and it doesn't hurt to get bonded...its like 10.00 and it's Great for advertisement....
  5. millenium_123

    millenium_123 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 186

    Im working on insurance now but I am not familiar with bonding. What is that exactly?
  6. bohiaa

    bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,220

    it just protects the customer if you or one of your employees steal something from them.

    To B Honest, I have NEVER had this issue, But I found that Just being bonded makes me a ton of money. It gives the customer that warm fuzzy feeling,

    It shows you are protecting them, and like early stated.... it's GREAT for ad's....

    JOES LAWN CARE Call xxx-xxx-xxxx

    Joes lawn care Bonded and insured Call xxx-xxx-xxxx

    these bonds are Very cheep I have one for 10.00 a year, it goes with my insurance and I'm insured upto 2 million

    Good luck


    there is NO licensing in Texas, there talking about doing it but havent yet.

    BUT if you spray roundup or anything else you will need a license

    Be sure to keep monies seprate and from time to time deposit CASH into your Business account
  7. txgrassguy

    txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,083

    The primary "license" for only mow and go's in Texas is to register with the State Comptroller's Office.
    Should your business handle nursery plants I would recommend getting your Nursery Floral Certificate as well. This certificate is mandatory once you obtain your TDA Turf and Ornamental license.
    And don't forget your Texas Irrigator's License for selling, repairing, installing and auditing irrigation systems here in Texas.
    As a last note, you need to check with your county to determine the requirements for registering your business, if any.

Share This Page