Licensing needed for Sprinkler Irrigation Installation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MowinginEureka, Sep 18, 2009.

  1. MowinginEureka

    MowinginEureka LawnSite Member
    Messages: 238

    Ok, so I have been told by the old owner of my business that you do not need a contractors license to install irrigation. He told me that you only need a contractors license if you are giving a set bid price. Now, I have other people telling me different. The old owner has a current contractors license and has been doing sprinklers for 40 years and trained me as well. Now I am looking into doing a sprinkler system for a customer and some people on here are telling me I can't do it legally. I have a liability insurance policy with 2 million aggregate coverage, workers compensation, business licensing...but no contractors license. I understand that if this were true it would only be to protect the customer from shoddy installation amongst other things, but as someone as myself who does nothing under the table...thats not my intent. I have done many controllers, whole valve installation assemblies and assisted in 4 sprinkler jobs. Not that any of this matters if I truly have to have a contractors license period. I? I'm in California btw.
  2. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,764

    Why would someone doing sprinkler work in California not want to have a contractors license?
  3. 1idejim

    1idejim LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,358

    i can see your point, why believe a bunch of strangers with contractors lic. when you can believe a guy that sold you a business? don't look at the web site as it may shock you. and don't trust the folks you're asking for assistance.
    i wish you the best of luck
  4. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,764

    and don't forget to check the blinker fluid
  5. MowinginEureka

    MowinginEureka LawnSite Member
    Messages: 238

    Its nothing personal. I just worked for that man for years. Just want to be sure. Also, its North California, sprinklers up here aren't as needed down south because the temperatures stay pretty moderate here. Its been like 70-80 this whole summer. Pretty rainy here too. Anyhow. Im not quite getting the blinker fluid jab. I think it would be funny if I were speaking of something mechanical...I asked for advice, not a condescending tone. Thanks.
  6. Beerigator

    Beerigator LawnSite Member
    Messages: 77

    Check with the building dept. in your area. They should have a web site with links to contractors licensing. If you need a license, it should be under " irrigation/sprinkler". Take it from there.
  7. hoskm01

    hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,690

    You dont typically get a repsonse here without a little Jab. Dont take it personal. Welcome to the gaggle of goofy tards.

    Get a license. CA, as I recall is one of the bigger sticklers for things like contractors licenses. And I believe it is a state thing, not municipality, but get one at any rate.
  8. irrig8r

    irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,553

    You can install sprinklers, or do any other "construction" work normally covered by a contractor's license under various categories if all you are billing for is your time, and materials and the job is no more than $500.

    From the website:

    Basic Facts About Contracting in California

    * Anyone performing construction work in California that totals $500 dollars or more in labor and materials must be licensed by CSLB.

    * The construction industry is one the largest industries in California.

    * Licensed contractors must demonstrate at least 4 years of experience/education in the trade for which they are licensed, be fingerprinted, have an FBI background check, and be bonded.

    * CSLB's Statewide Investigative Fraud Team (SWIFT) conducts stings and sweeps somewhere in California each week.

    * Unlicensed contractors are part of the $60-140 billion dollar underground economy that does not pay taxes, insurance, or follow safety laws.

    * First time offenders are often issued a Notice to Appear (NTA) for misdemeanor charges of contracting without a license or illegal advertising.
    The NTA carries a maximum of six months in jail and/or up to a $1,000 fine.

    * Additional convictions raise the fines to 20 percent of the contract price for the work performed, (or $4500), along with a 90-day jail sentence.
  9. hoskm01

    hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,690

    Which is about typical for most states with licensing.

    How many systems could you put in for 5 hundies or less?

    I thought the standard was 1500/zone?

    Like I said, save the grief and legal hassle if you get caught... get a license.
  10. Mike Leary

    Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 23,174

    Same as up here; Labor and Industries are infamous for swooping down on a job site and carding all concerned. Two-wire is driving up the per zone price.:rolleyes:

Share This Page