Licensing question in Mi

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CompletePropertyCare, Jan 29, 2006.

  1. CompletePropertyCare

    CompletePropertyCare LawnSite Member
    Messages: 64

    When a company refers to their business as “Licensed” does that just mean that they are a legally registered business? Or do they have special lawn care licenses. I understand if I want to lay down pesticide or fertilizer that I need a license (I think) But do I need a license just to mow, blow, and trim? I have a couple friends with businesses that will be need lawn care with some landscaping this summer, they may be my only commercial clients but I want to make sure I’m legal. Thanks for any in input
  2. Grassmechanic

    Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,697

    You'll need a business license from your local municipality (city, township, etc). Then you'll also need General Liability insurance.
  3. Tim Wright

    Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,034

    Here in West Virginia you need a license to Breath air, whether it be fresh or stail.

    So, here you need a business license, whether it is sole prop, LLC, or INC.

    Then, to do any land scaping of any kind, such as grading, seeding, planting, irrigating, etc, I need a contractors license, which is a business specialty license with a sub as a landscaper. This is for residential only. If I employ people then I need to be bonded for the amount of wages per month. The specialty landscape contractor license here is $40.00. An escavating license is another $45.00 on top of that.

    If I get into commercial landscaping, then it is possible that an escavating license is needed, and a bond for a million bucks. Thats about 10 grand up front.

    So, it all depends on your state. Check with the labor board at the state capitol.

    With that, when I called, I got three or four different answers. Knowing that something did not sound right, I keeped hammering them until I got the correct answer, otherwise I would be paying out the nose for a contract license that I did not need.

    Now, if you are found doing the work without a contractor license, the labor board of the state of WV will fine the daylights out of you, for $200.00 per day, for each day that you were doing the job without the contractor license.

    So, get your ducks in order and I think you will find that all will be well.

    Until we band together for another Boston Tea Party, that is what we have to work with.

  4. Mr Budget

    Mr Budget LawnSite Member
    Messages: 122

    This is call a D.B.A. " doing business as " and the General Liability insurance is not required by law, but it is highly recommended and commercial accounts will require you to have it
  5. Grassmechanic

    Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,697

    Not quite. A DBA is issued by the county that your business is located in. This is a must. After you have your DBA from your county, then you need to go to your local town, city, whatever and register your business with them. This is also a must. You are correct about not requiring insurance, but only a fool would operate without it.:waving:

Share This Page