1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice

licensing question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mike lane lawn care, May 23, 2006.

  1. mike lane lawn care

    mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,707

    i am looking to get my biz license VERY soon, and was wondering what's involved? or can someone under 18 even get a license? what costs and what extra expenses would there be? Pros, and Cons? i want to be as legt a possible, so that i am one step closer to being a real LCo, and one step farther fropm being "just some kid with a mower".

    any advice is greatly appreciated
  2. mike lane lawn care

    mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,707

    bumpety bump
  3. yankeesdood16

    yankeesdood16 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 72

    They are only like $25 or $30 but I dont know where you get them.
  4. mike lane lawn care

    mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,707

    well thats a start, thanks

    HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,981

    Mike, just call your county/city government center and they can tell you how to go about getting a license. I'm not sure about the under 18 thing, but they should know.

    When you're older, and want to buy a house or get a biz loan, the banks ask for things like your biz license, Schedule C's (business earnings on tax return), things like that. The license itself (at least for me) costs little and there's no good reason to not have one.
  6. mike lane lawn care

    mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,707

    thanks for the info, but can anyone tell me if a 16 year old can get their biz lisence? and what kinds of tax and other expenses am i looking at?
  7. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 21,653

    Oh man... Ok, let me thread it out:
    1) You get the license usually down around the county courthouse.
    2) Ask the clerk, he or she can answer these questions.

    Taxes vary:
    You may have to pay property tax on your stuff.
    You may have to pay a flat percent on your estimated annual income.
    You will pay federal, state, and social security on YOUR take home.
    ^ On that note, you pay DOUBLE social security.
    You will also pay FUTA (federal unemployment tax).
    You will pay a federal tax on your profit.

    Dunno what else there is...
  8. fulano

    fulano LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 319

    Once you get a license you can be sure the city or county or whatever is going to want to know how much you gross and what equipment you have. When your license comes up for renewal you will pay the license fee and the taxes based upon your gross. You will be assessed personal property tax on items used for your business. That would include telephone, computer, software, desks, fax machine, mowers, tools, etc. At least that is how it works in TN, USA.
  9. Buckeye2006

    Buckeye2006 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio
    Messages: 12

    Call or email your State Treasures office or your local SBA (Small Business Association). They will have all the requirements you'll need. Most municipalities require some form of licensing, especially if you are doing door hangers. Plus you would be wise to get a tax ID, so you can be tax exempt, open a Business Bank account ( seperate from your personal $$$) and get liability insurance, its inexpensive and can save your A#*! To do these things is low in cost and in the long run will save you headaches and possibly your business.
  10. tehpr3chr

    tehpr3chr LawnSite Member
    from NE GA
    Messages: 21

    is liability insurance very expensive? how do you become an llc?

Share This Page