Licensing question...

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by Florida Lawn Masters, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Florida Lawn Masters

Florida Lawn Masters LawnSite Member

We currently work only on lawn maintenance. we are expanding into landscaping, more in particular, the Sod sales and Installation aspect.
    the questions that I have is:
    is Sod Sales and Installation regulated by the Fed. Government under Landscaping architecture? or my occupational license is enough?
    Also, can I sub-contract a Fert. & weed control company to do the initial application is their license enough or do I need to get another license for that as well?

2. Burnie

Burnie LawnSite Member

Don't know about the sod thing, but yes you could hire a PCO to do the spraying as they have the license & certification for the spraying required by the state, you would just be another customer of theirs. I did some spraying for a mowing guy at some of his properties he cut 6 or 7 years ago, and sent the bill to him, and he added the cost to what he charged the customer.

Florida Lawn Masters likes this.
  3. Florida Lawn Masters

Hey Burnie
    Thanks for the reply, those are my thoughts on the matter.

4. Florida Lawn Masters

Does anyone lay sod in Florida that can answer
    "if Sod Sales and Installation is regulated by the Fed. Government under Landscaping architecture? or my occupational license is enough?"

5. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

You do not need anything special for sod in Florida unless your county/municipality requires it.

However, you mention architecture in your post, in the state statutes somewhere that says you can not advertise as such unless you are licensed for that.

6. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Call your county licensing board. They’ll tell you what you need and don’t.

7. Florida Lawn Masters

Thank you !

8. Florida Lawn Masters

Thank you!

9. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Just to clarify, I wasn’t trying to be snotty. I find that even though most peoples’ intentions are good on forums, when it comes to something that cost you fines, it’s best to get the answers to your questions right from the people who would be fining you. “The guy on Lawnsite told me it was OK” isn’t going to be a good defense if you end up doing something you shouldn’t.

Florida Lawn Masters and Steve like this.
  10. Florida Lawn Masters

I agree
    In fact, I am already in the process of checking with the county authorities. I just wanted to check if anyone had information that I may be missy. Just covering all my bases.
    Thanks