1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Licensing required?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by dvcroket, Jan 13, 2011.

  1. dvcroket

    dvcroket LawnSite Member
    from Texas
    Messages: 10

    Texas operators - is licensing required to put out fertilizer for residential customers? What if it's weed and feed? Does it then fall under the Tx Dept of Ag's pesticide licensing program?
  2. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,717

    All herbicides, insecticides, control products and pesticides of any kind require a liscense. That is actually Federal law, and the law forces the states to administer it. So yes, if it kills weeds or prevents crabgrass...license required. Unless it is on your own property.
  3. dvcroket

    dvcroket LawnSite Member
    from Texas
    Messages: 10

    Thanks for clearing that up Riggle.
  4. lawnpro724

    lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,201

    If its not a restricted chemical you shouldn't need a license. You should have one if your spraying chemicals but for granulated I don't think it required.
  5. phasthound

    phasthound LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,138

    "The facts, ma'am, just the facts." Joe Friday

    State law requires anyone in Illinois applying general-use and restricted-use pesticides in the course of employment be licensed. Persons applying restricted-use pesticides on property they own or control must have a private applicator license. Persons applying general-use pesticides on their own property are exempt from licensing requirements.

    It is a responsibility of the Illinois Department of Agriculture to license people applying pesticides outdoors and in agricultural production. The University of Illinois Cooperative Extension Service provides training and study materials

  6. lawnpro724

    lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,201

    Ha Ha I know the law. My mistake, I thought he was talking about his lawn. The license he will want then will be a commercial applicators license.
  7. phasthound

    phasthound LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,138

    Yea, I thought you did. My post was really meant for others who don't know the law.
  8. lifetree

    lifetree LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,369

    In Tennessee the law is written in such a way that stipulates if you are applying "any chemical for commercial purposes" then you need a license !! This specifically specifies if you are a lawn care maintenance operator who "bundles this service" along with any other type of service for which you are paid ... best thing would be to get a license.
  9. Turf Dawg

    Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,719

Share This Page