1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andrews Lawn, Feb 16, 2002.

  1. Andrews Lawn

    Andrews Lawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 44

    I am trying to become as professional as I can at lawn mowing- I bought professional equipment and am going to be insured this summer but there is one thing- how do you become licsenced in lawn care? do you have to go to the city and take a test? If someone could fill me in on what a person has to do it would be appreciated.

    And also, I am buying a Wright Stander in a month or so and was wondering what you guys thought of them. Which engine would you choose on a 52 inch deck- 17kawa, b/s, kohler, or 23kawa?
  2. 2 man crew

    2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 403

    I would call your city & state licensing office and ask what the procedure is. In some states you don't need a license to cut.
    But you may need to be registered with the state. You may also need a tax ID#. If you plan on applying chemical treatments you will need to contact the department of agriculture. You will need a license for this type of work. Liability insurance and paying your taxes are the two things you don't want to over look. Also you may have to charge sales tax to your customers.

    Good Luck. I hope this helped some. I'm sure some of the other members will take this a little further.

    As for the mower I don't care for the Standers. Some guys really like them though. If you still end up buying one I would get the 23 hp motor.

Share This Page