Lien after closing?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by spitfire3416, Apr 20, 2018.

1. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that has had their house on the market and owes me $600. I just found out that they closed on the house. Is it too late to put a lien on the property?

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yes too late

3. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

13Razorbackfan likes this.
  4. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

If it is for maintenance you can't put a lien on it.

rlitman likes this.
  5. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry man, I sometimes check house listings if I have an unpaid invoice because the market is really hot here, people buying and selling all the time. Sometimes people will want a few things done before the house goes for sale. What type of work did you do for them?

6. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

Maintenance work. Lawn mowing, fall clean up

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

The lien is to keep them from selling it
    Construction. Not lawn maintenance. I don' t see how you would be responsible for anything not directly tied(the buyer after closing) to the home.

8. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Down here we can’t file liens for lawn service. State doesn’t view it as a permanent improvement.

13Razorbackfan likes this.
  9. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes and no, and yes.

A lein would normally be to keep someone from selling a property, but that does not mean that it cannot be filed shortly after a sale. It would then keep the new owners from selling, though that might take much longer to be satisfied, it still will be eventually.

Exactly. You cannot place a lein on cleanup work, so the fact that a lein can sometimes be placed on the property after a sale is irrelevant here.

But there are plenty of jobs discussed on this site (construction, irrigation installs, lighting installations, etc.), where discussion of a lein might apply.

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it depends

Mitty87 likes this.