1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

lien

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mcdow, Jun 23, 2014.

1. mcdow

mcdow LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

I am almost finished with my first large commercial job. I received an email from the contractor stating they need various things before the job finishes. One thing was a final waiver of lien with retainage invoice. I'm not 100% sure what this is. I would assume if I do send this then I would not be able to file a lien if they don't send my final payment. Is this correct, or does anyone know how I should proceed. Thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

I assume you are a sub. For the general to get paid, sounds like the owner wants a waiver of liens. Many times an owner will pay the general, but the general wont pay the sub, and the owner ends up with a lien on the property from a sub even though he already paid the general for the work. Read what the waiver says. If it says you have been paid in full, but you haven't, I personally would not sign it. You should get a check at the time you sign.
    Retainage is just a percent of the contract price, usually 10%, held back until final completion.

3. mcdow

mcdow LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

Yep a sub. Thanks for the info.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Good advice. I once held up 1.2 mil on a $162.00 invoice. Got my money in a hurry ;)
    Posted via Mobile Device