Life as a landscape employee

Capt J-rod

LawnSite Senior Member
College is good if you end up with a LICENSE. Engineer, surveyor, nurse, water plant operator, sewer plant operator, SOMETHING! The municipal gig isn't a bad idea because they don't care if you moonlight. If you don't go to college then pick a trade. I did HVAC and Electrical. It has always put food on the table and there is always a few side jobs out there. Plumbing, is also a great choice. The secret to success lies in the money you save not the money you spend. Read the book mentioned before the millionaire next door. Also read Rich Dad Poor Dad. Listen to Dave Ramsey. Had I done more of that at age 18 instead of 28 I would be even further down the road. As it is I will have zero debt in 2 years, and the debt I carry is all "good debt" with enough savings to wipe it out. Learn it now or it will learn you later!

OP
J

Jeremyg5

LawnSite Member
If you do go to college what’s the end goal? More people than not just go because everyone says to and end up with a bunch of debt and no promising job prospects.
The end goal was to have a degree where if something happened down the road and ended up losing this job I won’t be 40 years old with nothing to my name for people to hire me except years of landscape experience. Just as a back up, also if I moved to somewhere else.

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
The end goal was to have a degree where if something happened down the road and ended up losing this job I won’t be 40 years old with nothing to my name for people to hire me except years of landscape experience. Just as a back up, also if I moved to somewhere else.
This is absolutely the right way of thinking. Get that degree, no one can take that from you. College is a great experience. You'll make friends, connections, learn something and might even meet your soul mate!

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
If you are able to go to college, you definitely should. It’s a great experience and you will learn a lot more about life than just the “education” part. However, be wary of taking on a lot of debt to do so, especially be sure to get a degree you can use to make a living. Oh and don’t drink too much like I did lol.

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
College schedule is perfect for landscaping during the summer.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
A general business degree is useful but imo so so. I didn't really learn much of what I didn't already know until MBA. A hort degree or a 2 year cert program in Turfgrass Management yeah that's good and something you could go with. Head greens guys make bank. It's just extremely extremely competitive. According to the head GG I knew.

BrandonV

LawnSite Fanatic
My parents sent me to college. It was never a choice. I was supposed to marry a landscape arch so my dear mother could retire but a cutie from the engineering school ruined that plan... but she’s a great cook!

I got a degree in ag business management and marketing. It to me was more usuefull that a imho worthless business degree. more science background.

oqueoque

LawnSite Fanatic
If you like what you are doing, why not go to college to be a Landscape Architect. I see you are in western Mass, and commuting to Boston might be a haul, but there is great school that I went to in Boston, The Boston Architectural College, that is a combination of work/study, that has classes at night and you work in the field during the daytime.

You would probably have to move there, but probably could get a higher paying job there, which would cover some of your living expenses, and still be close to home.

Last edited:

Top Forums