Life Cycle

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
From my basic understanding of what Organic Horticulture is supposed to mean, we are working with nature by enhancing the natural processes whereby a fertile soil provides for healthy plants.

Perhaps the biggest confusion with the whole concept of soils is the same problem that confronts every other area of life... the concept that "One size fits All".

In the life cycle of plant material, mineral particles build up into soil, by the accumulation of OM (organic matter)... Is this true???

OP
S

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
I remember reading the "Organic Gardening" magzine as a child and soil fertility was well understood in every article...

Nowadays, the best marketing tool for organic fertilizer is: "when you put this organic fert on the soil the green gods perform a miracle, & turn it into a beautiful lawn with weeds, after it gets worse for a couple of years first, with an expensive price tag...

Do organic people understand soil fertility any more than fert and squirt guys following label instructions...??? just askin'... :)

dKoester

LawnSite Gold Member

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
This is nonsustainable. The very fact you have to keep using it every 4-6 weeks to get results is costly. The point of organics should be to create an enclosed system.
Very True and your absolutely right, I wish I knew more about sustainability and organics....Is there such a thing as self-sustaining Commercial Turf?

dKoester

LawnSite Gold Member
I would believe you would have to select a turf that is sound for your climate to start with. That way it works in your environment. Second, would be your cultural practices(Mowing height and recycling of clipping are important as well as weed management.

So the answer to your question would be yes, However if you wanted perfection regarding your commercial turf this is very difficult. If you just wanted a sustainable turf no problem. Sustainable turf must rely on reseeding itsself in some varieties of grass.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
I would believe you would have to select a turf that is sound for your climate to start with. That way it works in your environment. Second, would be your cultural practices(Mowing height and recycling of clipping are important as well as weed management.

So the answer to your question would be yes, However if you wanted perfection regarding your commercial turf this is very difficult. If you just wanted a sustainable turf no problem. Sustainable turf must rely on reseeding itsself in some varieties of grass.
As I suspected....

OP
S

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
This stuff is kind of a spinoff on compost tea, maybe better described as just CT with polymers... So in dealing with the lifecycle of natural processes of building dirt into soil with the addition of OM, what does this product do??
Do you use it? and what happened to the soil with different textures?...
I just read about it being an all-inclusive spray, read the reports, etc. it seems like a good product as I've been looking into a more organic/natural approach to lawn care, but I have not used this product or any CT product type of any kind, still in the research phase.....