1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

life span of an employee

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 11, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how long do most employees last? is there a big turnover rate? what is the average life span of an employee?

2. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

8 months....

:waving:

3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Until their dead and then they must give us 30 days notice or lose their last check.

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

;) Wow, that is a high turnover.

5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i had my brother for 5 years sytraight.
    after that... the turnover is about evry 6 months if i'm lucky. ending the season solo, need to find someone in the spring.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

it all depends on pay and the person some people like to work and will stick around for a while if u treat them right
    the biggest reason for someone leaveing is more money or more hours

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My guys are back every year, but I pay them well too. You have to if you want to keep them.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, here's a question. if you want to give your help " a real job", you have to pay them well. maybe even benefits. but, what about vacation time? every job i've had gave me paid vacation. do u give your help paid vac? and when do they take it?

9. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Pay them well and they will stay, That has been my experience. I also give Christmas bonus,Usually a weeks pay. Another thing is to treat them with respect. If something goes wrong you can't fly off the handle and start yelling what the f--k are you an idiot. Someone that shows up every day on time and does his work year after year is a person that has self respect and you better treat them with respect unless there are other LCO's that will.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Each of my summer college guys got a $500 end of the season bonus from me this year.

I pay 1/2 of the major medical cost each month for my full timers.

You can take whatever time off during the season (with a 2 week prior notice), but I don't pay for vacation time.