lifting mafia blocks

tnmtn

LawnSite Bronze Member
i've done a few walls with the 3600# concrete blocks and was wondering what others are using for lifting them. does a 50 series mini ex have the capacity to stack them? I have been lifting them with chain to forks on the loader end of the B300. Then sometimes positioning witht he backhoe bucket. what size excavator can lift these? i know they would be toward the heavy side for skid steers as well.

icex

LawnSite Senior Member
You'd be pushing it with a 5 ton excavator.. they say that a 5 ton machine can lift half its weight which is 2.5 ton, or 4,500 pounds. The thing is the further your boom reachs out the less the less the machine can safely load.

bobcat_ron

LawnSite Fanatic
8 ton and up for those blocks, safety becomes an issue with anything smaller, both for the operator and ground crew.
My dad's ZX75 will barely pick up a 4400 pound block much further than 10 feet and place it 3 high.
Posted via Mobile Device

mxridernorth

LawnSite Senior Member
Yeah 8 ton and up for 4400 lb blocks. I've done a wall using both my spider and a tb175. The tb 175 did well enough, but it certainly wasn't slinging them around with carefree ease. A 5 ton, while it might be able to lift them, I doubt would be able to get beyond the second level.

OP
tnmtn

tnmtn

LawnSite Bronze Member
the B300 does pretty well with them and the menzi lifts them as well. I am thinking about replacing the B300 sometime in the future and don't have a lot of experiance with mini exes capabilities in the real world. keep going back and forth between a full size tlb and skid steer /mini combo. so far leaning toward the tlb for the work I do.

jdo150

LawnSite Member
The Hoe on my 410G Deere can pick them up depending on how high I need to lift. We usually use our 490D Deere Excavator when we build those walls due to it is so much easier to move the blocks with an Excavator. We use our backhoe for just about everything because it is so convenient for us and has a lot of uses. I think in a Ideal world it is best to have one of everything, but we don't have a mini ex but are able to get by because of our 410G.

nac

LawnSite Member
The smallest I would use is an 8 ton machine. I just finished up a wall with over 200 blocks and we used a combination of a 160 and 85 to set all the block. still have to set about 50 caps in the sping.