• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Lifting Z for Deck Clean-Out

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Simple question guys, but not having owned a Z until now....

How do you guys lift the front end of your mower up to do occasional clean outs/scrape downs? Do you use jacks(if so, what kind), or jack stands, or other? Would car ramps work?

I am used to just lifting up my Quick by hand on the front end and supporting with a 2x6 but that wont work with a Z400.

Thx

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
Floor Jack in the shop, out in the field run one wheel up the gate of the trailer to get underneath it.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
jungle jacks are great, actually lift better than the bigger ones with pnuematic wheels, we have tried them both. for heavier mowers, we could use ramps and have them, but just got a mowjack. maybe not economical for all, but wehave 15 mowers to service every day.

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
I've just been using car ramps for my ztr's, but I'm considering buying a jungle jack, mostly because it lifts the mower higher and will be easier to work around than ramps. I personally hate using the ramps since they are hard to work around when I'm changing the blades and cleaning the deck. The jungle jack looks much better and safe too.

rmdm94

LawnSite Member
I have a electric winch in my shop hooked up to the rafters that I got from Harbor freight.Super fast and nothing to work around.

Mickhippy

LawnSite Platinum Member
I have a very high tech way of doing it...

A 18" diamater, approx 24" long log, cut on an angle at one end.
A 3" x 6" sleeper of cut about 2.5' long.

Sleeper screwed into angled end of log so it creates approx 45º angled ramp.
Ramp is positioned against a pole so stop forward movement when running front left caster up it.

Its all about the angle! Ive tried the car and trailer ramps, they either get in the way or dont make it high enough to get the impact under there.

To be honest, I should make up something a little safer but it didnt cost anything and its only my arm that goes under there.

lotsagrass

LawnSite Senior Member
Many of the zero turn brands make their own receiver that you can attach to the front so you can then use one of those jacks like you see here on mine...

DT Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
Many of the zero turn brands make their own receiver that you can attach to the front so you can then use one of those jacks like you see here on mine...
That's a great idea, never thought of that one... Does it hold pretty steady? Seems like 1500 pounds on a 2-3 inch pole would be kind of topply.