Lawn Care Forum banner

linking domains to my site

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Team-Green L&L 
#1 ·
How hard is it to link multiple domains to my already existing website? I want to get MYTOWNNAMElawns.com, NEIGHBORTOWNlawns.com, for all the town names that I service in the area for advertising, would be alot easier to rember your towns name. Just wondering how hard it wouldbe to link about 5-8 websites to mine, meaning when you type in the MYTOWNNAMElawns.com into address bar, you go directly to my website. THanks in advance

#2 ·
I am not sure what you mean by link to but you can easily get a domain and set up domain forwarding so that if your main site is NewYorkCityLawns.com and then you get BrooklynLawns.com it will automatically go to the NewYorkCityLawns.com. I have a lot of names set up that way.

I use GoDaddy for my domains and it just takes seconds to set that up.

I doubt the search engines pay much attention to the forwarding so in the example above BrooklynLawns would probably not show up on search engines.

#3 ·
think turboguy has the right idea.
If someone mentions subdomains I would stay away from doing that, search engines are a lot smarter now and will kick you off or even ban you. The only way a sub domain will work is if you have a different homepage and setup compared to your original site, way to much work involved.

#5 ·
thanks for the info guys, what TURBOGUY suggested is exactally what I'm looking to do. I'm not worried about search engines finding them, its more for advertising, alot easier to rember MYTOWNNAMElawns.com than my whole website. Looking to do like Betteroutdoor does with quick36.com automatically takes you to betteroutdoorproducts.com.

So its called domian forwarding, and its not hard to do? I use yahoo web hosting now, is it possible to use godaddy or another comapny and still fwd them to my site?

can someone give me a few of examples.

Thanks for the info, I will be trying to set this up in the next few days.

#6 ·
Yes, you can use GoDaddy and forward to a site that you bought from another domain supplier. I am doing it now. In lots of cases. Can I give you an example? Well that is a little tougher because I don't want to violate the rules here. For example I have a site on turfsprayers you can add anything you want before or after that. I have another site on treesprayers that if you type in that url will take you to the turfsprayers site.

There is maybe one I can give you that is not a commercial site and they should be fine with links here. I do the website for the Hydro Seeding association. If you type in www.hydroseeding.org it will take you to the association site. If you type in hydromulching.org I have that domain set up with GoDaddy's domain forwarding and it will take you to the hydroseeding.org site. On the first example, the one I hinted at the links the turfsprayers site was registered through Network Solutions and the treesprayers site was registered though GoDaddy. No problems at all doing it.

#8 ·
Use a 301 Redirect from your cPanel or Hosting Provider. Don't mirror the content or use a permanent redirect unless you NEVER plan to add more websites to the domains.

#10 ·
The ROBOTS tag is not necessary any longer because GoogleBots default to "Follow". The only time you need to worry about the ROBOTS tag anymore is if you want to disallow the robots to follow or index your site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.