1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid Fertilizer Recommendation

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Jonessmj, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Jonessmj

Jonessmj LawnSite Member

I’ve been following discussions on this site for a long time and have learned a ton from everyone’s collective knowledge. Looking to get some insight from all of you on my specific application.

I had a soil test done last year on my 2 acre lawn. I have a tow behind sprayer I use for preemergent and would like to mix a liquid fertilizer with it. I know there are different opinions about this, but what I’m looking for is a recommendation in a liquid fertilizer that would be best for my lawn based on my soil test results - recommending a specific brand would be appreciated. The farm coop in my area shut down a couple of years ago so That’s not an option.

If you feel strongly about a granular fertilizer I’m open to it if you have a specific brand and blend that I would have access to and makes sense based on the soil test results.

Soil test results.PNG

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Jonsey,
    a tow behind sprayer is not really suitable for liquid fertilizer.
    You need about 2 to 3 gallons of water per thousand sqft as a carrier for the nitrogen. Otherwise you would probably burn the grass.
    And in most of Ohio, you probably do not want to add phosphorus--due to the fact that it does not contribute to the green color--and it causes big-time algae in lakes and rivers.
    Something like granular 22-0-11 with 50 percent of the nitrogen as coated slow-release nitrogen--would work out very well.

Maybe this one 32-0-4 with 9 percent slowly-available nitrogen.
    https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/8b/8b11c123-e075-4f59-a251-79e96fd51f21.pdf

I am myself am using Vigro 29-0-4. This with 50 percent coated nitrogen.

With a rotary spreader you can (in theory) cover about 1000 sqft per minute. Its an 88 minute job, (in theory.)
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-5-000-sq-ft-Lawn-Fertilizer-52203PM/204750012

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  3. The Green One

The Green One LawnSite Member

Jones from Ohio,

For the last part of your question, go with this granular. It has 10% Sulfur and a Good balance of NPK and Micros. 4 pounds per 1,000 sq feet, a couple times this season will help with your PH issue.

https://www.solutionsstores.com/pro...G26AIVBI3ICh13lARpEAYYAyABEgKyIPD_BwE#156=939

Green it Up.

The Green One.

hort101 likes this.
  4. RigglePLC

5. AMartinContracting

AMartinContracting LawnSite Member

Based on the high CEC, and mineral nature of your soil, it's most likely clay.

You need to bring phosphorous levels up above 21ppm. That is the min survival level for turf. Something with a bigger middle number in a granular form.

I recommend every three weeks during the growing season, ie not drought or heat pressure, for your two acres, to spray the following in 100 gallons of water.

One bag of 55lbs 46-0-0
    10 lbs of humic acid powder.
    80 oz of kelp extract.

That works out to about .3lbs of N every three weeks in a foliar feed. Research indicates that using a carbon source (humid acid) with urea reduces loses to leaching and volitizing.

Otherwise for two acres you could consider an appropriately timed foliar program of bio nutrition. Golf courses are trending this direction.. believe me on this. With lower rates and more frequent applications, your grass roots will produce exudates that will harness microbial activity. The microbes bring the food to the roots, and the plant turns them into plant food, carbohydrates.

Also increasing the carbon input into the soil will can help improve water retention and make available the locked and unavailable minerals in your soil.. ie phosphorus.

Give it a try for a season. There's more benefits to this, let me know if your interested to know more.

Cheers.

6. RigglePLC

This is odd.
    Administrators, I cannot find the huge online discussion and seminar by Dr Eirc Miltner with Koch fertilizers from a couple months ago. Lively discussion with a fertilizer expert. High efficiency fertilizers are new and better.

Where is the discussion?

I cannot set the date in the search function.
    How is this done?

Can I find something if I do not have a member name to use?

7. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

are you referring to this thread?

https://www.lawnsite.com/threads/as...ue-of-enhanced-efficiency-fertilizers.465625/

search this forum for KOCH threads or the "Ask the Expert" threads