Liquide herbicide application

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by thom, Mar 25, 2019.

1. thom

thom LawnSite Member

I am in northern Ohio.
    What would be the earliest date that
    liquid herbicides could be ,or should be applied??

2. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the weed and what you are using. I will start this week spraying anything left over from last fall. I will be spot spraying Speedzone on any Bittercress we see and definitely any Dandy's lurking that didn't get hit last fall. When blanket spraying it's best to wait until the temps have warmed to the point that the broadleaves have emerged and are actively growing. During a normal spring this can generally be after mid April to mid May.

3. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

What does the label say?

Most post applied products will say to spray when weeds are actively growing.

zlandman likes this.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion is that you can spray early, if the weed is visible. The herbicide will be absorbed; not much will happen when it is cold and the weed is growing slowly. When it warms up, the weed begins to twist and curl, just like usual.
    The cold weather weeds, like hairy bittercress and chickweed, should respond as usual, because they are growing in spite of cold weather.

https://www.lawnsite.com/threads/herbicide-in-cold.465903/page-2#post-5622489

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    hort101 likes this.
  5. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Well I sprayed my first post this past weekend since it was dry enough to not leave track marks everywhere. Thankfully all the pre I sprayed last fall and in Feb has left me with very very few weeds. Some Henbit/chickweed thumb their nose at me, but I typically spot nuke with gly while the summer grass is asleep.

I would've done it a month ago here in AL if it ever stopped raining. If the weed is growing and temps are staying above freezing at night, I'll spray. If I'm still getting hard freezes at night then better to wait.

hort101 likes this.
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

This

7. Yatt

Yatt LawnSite Senior Member

I tell clients DO NOT MOW even though everyone has an itch to do so early in the Spring. Weeds grow faster than the grass and it you let them get a good head start there is much more surface area for the spray to stick on. The herbicide will really nuke unmowed weeds.

hort101 likes this.
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, our lawn flags say don't mow for 48 hours after app...but yet I've seen customers get their mowers out right after I leave. Doh!

hort101 and Yatt like this.
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I sprayed a few early weeds as a test yesterday afternoon. Temp was below freezing last night. Quicksilver, Speedzone, 3-way. So far after 12 hours --there is no visible effect. It will be a bit slow.

10. Yatt

Yatt LawnSite Senior Member

I think you misunderstood what I am saying. I like to spray before the yard has ever been mowed in the Spring. Sure it is going to look real ratty but the weeds will have quadruple the surface area then before the first mowing. Results are spectacular.

hort101 likes this.