Liquide herbicide application

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by thom, Mar 25, 2019.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

No I got you...I was just ranting on customers..

hort101 likes this.
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Shucks--I tried to fund some dandelions in my test area. Could not find any. I had to settle for some patches of chickweed. Worse yet we had a warm day--went up to 60 degrees F--one of the warmest days of the year so far. Test started. 3-way and Speedzone.

Soil temperature--about 45 F.

3. Yatt

Yatt LawnSite Senior Member

When I was out walking the dog this morning I saw residue on the sidewalk that sure looked like Pre M fertilizer to me. Unreal, I won't spray prodiamine for at least 4-5 weeks till soil temps warrant it.

4. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I am applying prodiamine starting next week, 4 to 5 weeks from now it would be time for Dimension. Prodiamine takes awhile before it becomes active.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Probably TruGreen. Here near Rochester, still snowbanks in people's yards. Ill probably start in about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks from now. Thats if we don't tank in temp and get more snow.

I cannot understand why some companies pee their pants trying to get pre on so early. The earlier you put down, the sooner it breaks down and ends up crapping out mid July. I have NEVER seen crab in lawns before mid June. Almost without exception ok to apply pre's right up to around Memorial Day.

I like to see some wake up action in lawns before I pour crap on them.

Yatt likes this.
  6. FdLLawnMan

You are farther north than me. The lawns are starting to turn green here and the snowbanks are gone. Prodiamine is slow to become active and it is better to be early than late with prodiamine.

RigglePLC and kemco like this.
  7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Understood I was more gearing my statement at trugreen and the like. Throwing pre over snow is really never excusable.

hort101 likes this.
  8. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Our round one right before green up is prodiamine half rate and simazine. Round 2 prodiamine half rate. Has worked really well. But I'm down south.

9. FdLLawnMan

Up north where I am it just not worth applying split apps of pre-emergent, especially prodiamine. Illinois and south has much greater crabgrass pressure than we do.

10. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Its looking like next week I'll be starting my pre rounds. Local trugreen has been sticking flags in yards for about 2 weeks now.