1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

liscense in pa.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LHLAWN, Feb 8, 2006.


    LHLAWN LawnSite Member
    Messages: 26

    do you need any liscence in pa. i plan on mowing,dethatching,areating,seeding,fertilizer...any sugestions?
  2. Roger

    Roger LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,943

    Yes, you do need to have an applicator's license for herbicides and pestacides in PA.

    I see your location is generally given as SW PA. The Turf show in Monroeville includes classes to get you some of the credits. However, I think the classes at the Turf show are on-going credits, and will not offer the classes to get your initial license. To get the initial license, an exam needs to be passed. Find information from the PA Dept of Ag on the procedures for taking the classes and opportunities to take the exam. There may still be exam opportunitiess before the season begins. The exams are periodically offered at locations around the state.

    After you get the license, you need to take on-going classes to get credits, so many credits every so many years. These credits will keep your license current. And, you need a BU number on your vehicle. This is your license number.

    It takes time and effort to be qualified in the State's eyes, and putting down restricted material without a license may result in heavy fines.
  3. BladeRunner1967

    BladeRunner1967 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 202

    Roger...I purchased PEP-07 Lawn and Turf study materials last year to read over the winter....Well let's say the wife wanted a new bathroom instead.:realmad: Is there anything else I will need to take the 2 exams? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  4. E-man

    E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA
    Messages: 136

    Blade runner if the two exams you are talking about are for cat.7 and the core exam you will need the core packet PEP-00C.

    The core is closed booked and the catagories are open.
  5. Roger

    Roger LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,943

    LHLAWN, here is the link for a brochure describing the requirements for the applicator's license.


    I do not claim to know the entire process, but the brochure will give you what you need to know. I investigated getting the license a few years ago and decided against. I'm a small operator, and would end up with only a few customers. In the neighborhoods I work, several large companies are well entrenched.

    A friend of mine who also was a small, solo operator did proceed to go through the education, taking the exams, etc. He did the work for one year, and got out. The call-backs (calls from customers who wanted him to return to tell them about this weed, that weed, why didn't the killer get rid of this, what about that ....) killed him -- far too much time spent on small things. Doing the apps was very good money (large $/hr), but all the time spent on other things ate up any good profits.

    From what I could understand, customers would more readily make a call to a small operator doing the fertilizing/spraying, etc, than make a call to the large companies, e.g. TG. The customers realized the larger companies were not going to give them personalized service, but felt that a small operator would be willing to speak with them at every turn and question. I have no objective evidence to substantiate that claim.

    I also was told (by my agent) that I would need a change to my contractor's insurance policy for handling chemicals. The liability issue when putting down chemicals on other's property is cause for alarm for the insurance companies.

    Bottom line for me: Not worth the aggrivation for only a few customers.

    LHLAWN LawnSite Member
    Messages: 26

    Roger thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

    The more i look into the spraying part, doesn't seem worth the aggrivation for a solo like me.

    i do want to make sure i'm leagal though, i got insurance up to 1 mill. and my accountant told me there was no other liscence needed to cut grass or trim hedges......Do you know of any current changes to that or anything else i might need to be leagal.........THANKS AGAIN

Share This Page