1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Kingspointe, Nov 28, 2002.

  1. Kingspointe

    Kingspointe LawnSite Member
    Messages: 56

    This year was the start of my lawn service and now I'm looking to obtain liscenes. Due to the fact that I was 17 when I started, the county would not allow me to get my papers in for my assumed name of the company. I am 18 as of tomarrow so monday I will recieve my paper work and handle that part before the season starts next spring. Now I just have a few questions for you pro's!

    1. If I add INC after my company name, I was told I cannot be sued for my personal belongings if it ever came down to it, but my company can. I just want that clarified before I make any moves off that nature.

    2.Where do I go to recieve a possible grounds maintenance liscence and fertilization liscencse? Is there any kind of special tests that I might need to take?

    3. I will be also purchasing insurance in the spring, which do you guys suggest for my area of Michigan?

    Thank you guys so much for your answers...hopefully I will have an answer to one of yours!:p
  2. Mykster

    Mykster LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 668

    I do believe that is true when becoming Inc. It will cost you a few bucks to do so, I believe. I'm not Inc. I'm S. Prop. so my info on that is limited, but there are alot of members who are and can educate you more than myself.

    Each area is different for Lic.'s. A Contractor's Lic. would be the way to go. You may not need a Lic. for fert. apps., but chances are you will need a applicators license spraying herbicides, pesticides etc. Contact your local Dept. of Agriculture and they should be able to help you out with the testing to obtain a lic.

    For Ins., check with your own Ins. agent to help you with that. If they don't provide Lia. Ins. for businesses I'm sure he knows of a reputable co. or agent that can hook you up.

    In my area you can't obtain a Contractors Lic. without being Bonded and Ins. so you might want to chack on that as well.

    Hope this helps. Welcome to LS.
  3. Darb

    Darb LawnSite Member
    Messages: 182

    Be sure to read this thread http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36845 and talk with a lawyer and/or an accountant what would be best for your situation. It may be expensive now but it could save your butt later on.

    I would check with your local Extention Office for guidance on this.
  4. Kingspointe

    Kingspointe LawnSite Member
    Messages: 56

    thank you very much for your responses...its gladly appreciated!!:D
  5. f350

    f350 Banned
    from mi
    Messages: 424

    check your email
  6. wemolow

    wemolow LawnSite Member
    Messages: 9

    I'm a little slow on this. There's repeated mention of LLC.
    What does it stand for and is it under sole proprietorship, partnetship or corporation? Is it "S" or "C"?
  7. AztlanLC

    AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,050

    Limited Liabilited Corporation, taxwise is treated like a solepro. but it protects you more legally in the event somebody sue you, talk to your accountant about it he'll explaing the in ans outs.
  8. Kingspointe

    Kingspointe LawnSite Member
    Messages: 56

    I did not use an accountant this season due to not wanting the expense and doing it myself...if I dont have one as of now, which route should i go with? extention office or agr?
  9. Darb

    Darb LawnSite Member
    Messages: 182

    I don't mean to be so anal retentive but LLC stands for Limited Liability Company.
  10. Kingspointe

    Kingspointe LawnSite Member
    Messages: 56

    hey guys, i've heard that if you manage to scoop up a good accountant...he/she will really help with the growing of your business, if you got stuck with a half @ssed one, eh not so good...does this hold true?

Share This Page