1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

    MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 840

    OK, I keep hearing all these lawn/landscaping crews saying, you need to be licensed to provide a lawn maintenance service. What license are they talking about? I have checked with the state of Michigan and they said "No license required for landscaping unless Landscape Architect is advertised and no license is required for lawn maintenance." The only thing i can think of is perhaps a contractor's license, which is required by anyone who provides a service for over $500. But in Michigan, lawn care was not one of the contractor's licenses. So if someone could specify what they mean to be licensed, it would be great.
    To clear things up, I have been in business for 2 years so far. I started by myself, and am still building up my business. I have also consulted another lawn/landscaping company who say that the only thing required is to register your name with the state, get insurance, and pay your taxes(all of which i do/done).
  2. JimLewis

    JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,872

    Licensing laws vary greatly from state to state. In many states, there is no license for just maintenance (mowing, pruning, clean-ups, muilching, etc.).

    But most states DO make it a requirement that you get licensed by the state to do larger landscaping jobs (installations, sod, retaining walls, drainage, irrigation, etc.).

    To make matters even more complex, states vary wildly on what it takes to actually GET your license. In some states, all you have to do is prove that you have liability insurance and a bond, and they issue you a license! In other states, there are vigorous testing procedures and experience / education qualifications.

    Sounds like in your state your fine as long as you stick to maintenance.
  3. Lombardi

    Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 538

    Most cities require you to obtain a business license.
  4. trimmerhead

    trimmerhead LawnSite Member
    Messages: 53

    Many of the cities that I mow in require me to be liscensed and bonded and have the proper insurance. Call the local Town Hall for information.
  5. B&B LAWN

    B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 267

    do you have to have insurance to have a license
  6. Lombardi

    Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 538

    Regardless of the requirements, why would you not want to be insured? It is not very expensive and well worth knowing you are covered.

    TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,138

    Also to be legal you need a spraying license.

Share This Page