• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

lisences and insurance??


LawnSite Senior Member
baltimore, md
With the start of this kind of business im sure liability insurance is a must...I have an agent working on that now but how much???? Shes gonna give me a quote for 5000,000/1,000,000,000. good enough??? and what kind of lisences will i need?? I see some trucks with a # right next to there name is this mandatory or a better business thing? again any help is greatly appreciated... Thanks a million guys


LawnSite Silver Member
I feel that the second number in your post should be adequate. I read that number as one billion, but you can never have enough insurance.;)



LawnSite Senior Member
Portsmouth, VA
How much would you be sued for if something you own caused harm to someone? Get that much insurance. 1,000,000,000 is a ton of money. I think you mean 1mil. Good start. You need a bus. lic. from your city or county. They can tell you if there is a state requirement. Here in VA we also have to register the name of a bus (if it's different than your name) with the state. tou may need a pesticide license, even to spray glyphosate or put weed killer on turf. You may need to display contractor lic # on your vehicle (yes, a good idea: people know you're legit) If you do install work you may need to get a different license (like you would if you were a plumber or an electrician) Employees? Once you have some look for Workman's Comp insurance. You also have unemployment and FICA. It's different everywhere, it might be a good idea to contact the SBA (in the gov't pages of the phone book) and or a lawyer. You have many obigations as a business owner.