• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Listen to this exuse

LAWNPROzII

LawnSite Member
I have a customer just like that, always late. When I went to go collect for Nov. and Dec. last week, and get 2004 contract signed the husband asks what I did for him in Nov. and Dec., I told him nothing because you are on our 10 month payment plan.(we stop mowing end of Oct.). I tell him we can do 8 month payments next year if he likes, he says abruptly no your not doing our yard next year. The wife speaks up and says the neighbor boy is going to do it. Then the husband says I wasn't happy with our service. I asked him why he didn't say anything during the season, he says I told the guys mowing. Well I was one of the guys mowing and everytime he came out he said everything looks great that were doing a great job. Go figure, what it comes down to he thinks I was robbing him for collecting for Nov. and Dec. when nothing was done, they signed for 10 monthly payments cause thats all they could afford now he's mad about it.

MudslinginFX4

LawnSite Bronze Member
LawnprozII, thats why I don't do 10 or 12 month plans for my residential customers. I know it is better for us because we are getting money year round but I've figured that I loose a lot of money on those customers that just don't want to pay in the winter time. For 90% of my residentials I just send them a bill once a month for the services I have done, during the winter they dont get billed.

turf9

LawnSite Member
LawnprozII, thats why I don't do 10 or 12 month plans for my residential customers. I know it is better for us because we are getting money year round but I've figured that I loose a lot of money on those customers that just don't want to pay in the winter time. For 90% of my residentials I just send them a bill once a month for the services I have done, during the winter they dont get billed.

You said it that system is nice in theory but..............

impactlandscaping

LawnSite Silver Member
I like the excuse "I need to save money, so I am having my grandson/neighbor/friend/uncle,etc..do my lawn from now on" Meanwhile, they're kickin' it in a nice house with nice property, and usually a new caddy/beamer/lincoln in the driveway.Wow, if you can save $ 150.00 a month, and have a crappy, windrowed lawn full of disease, that makes it all worthwhile,huh?I never understand these people, and when they call back later in the year(as most do), I just tell them we are at 100% capacity.Sorry to be you,lady....

Mark

LawnSite Senior Member
:) Id have to be droping that oen, If its not in the mail to me in ten days you get a late charge fee, Were running a Business, if im late on a credit card i pay a late fee, they must understand this......Marks Mowing Service

Tharrell

LawnSite Silver Member
About that extended paying thing, it sounds good at the time. People have short memories I've found. When I was in pest control we did the same thing with our fly lights for our commercial customers. They were serviced for six months but billed at the half rate for twelve months which was supposed to make everyone happy. Most customers understood the benefit and value of this system but, there were always a few boneheads that liked to argue. I loved flushing them! Write their names on some toilet tissue and send it to the septic tank.

dishboy

LawnSite Fanatic
I have a few who routinely pay late, but they always pay and so I just let it go, its cash flow no matter when it comes in; as long as it comes in.

tiedeman

LawnSite Fanatic
the only way that I would accept them back is if they paid at least a months in advance with cash or money order