1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Little Wonder Bed Shaper

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Ben Harms, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Ben Harms

Ben Harms LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever used this? I don't see, or hear a lot of guys using mechanized machines to create new bed edges. I am assuming because a lot of the results are inferior to manually creating them. Curious on peoples experiences with this machine, or machines like this.

2. AmericanEagleLawncare

AmericanEagleLawncare LawnSite Member

I own the Little Wonder Bed Shaper. Its works good for long stretches around houses or big individual beds. I don't use it around small tree rings due to roots and not being able to get a perfect circle. Clean-Up is nice because you get long strips. photo (2).JPG

3. ShowCaseLawnCare

ShowCaseLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

It’s nice for big commercial properties, small residential homes a spade shovel works . Just make sure you have all irrigation marked .

Cam15 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Ben Harms

how deep is the edge that it makes?

Cam15 likes this.
  5. AmericanEagleLawncare

AmericanEagleLawncare LawnSite Member

photo (3).JPG There is a pin you set by the blade that controls an anti scalp like wheel that floats on the grass . Little Wonder says the machine is capable of .5 to 4.5 inch depth edge.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Had one, used it a lot, would not buy another.

Can't think of the other one that's out there that I would buy instead.

Cam15 and TrainingWheels like this.
  7. Regal Landscapes

Regal Landscapes LawnSite Member

We have one, bought it to replace a Brown bed edger that was falling apart.

I liked that the brown bed edger was able to dig through hard pack soil and roots much easier.

The little wonder does not dig in as much and the blade will rise up over rocks, roots, and hard soils. With the way the blade is set up it will shift the edge side to side when it rises up. The drive system can also be a little tricky on some hills.

Its still better than spade edging for labor savings but were going to look at turf teq when it comes time for a replacement.

Cam15 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Ben Harms

What did you not like about it?

9. OP
    OP
    Ben Harms

I don't have any experience operating one but from what I've seen it seems like a quality vs. price trade off. From testimonials and seeing videos, manually making an edge with a half moon edger provides the best end result. Whereas these machines are extremely efficient which allows you to charge lower prices and perhaps become more attractive to customers considering the price. Correct me if this assumption is wrong.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

The root thing is kind of an issue. Big & bulky; difficult to redefine an edge without cutting sod. Creates a lot of cleanup. If there's a junipers or groundcover right to the edge, you have no choice but to take out several inches of sod.

If I was to buy another, it would be the Turf Teq.

https://turfteq.com/landscaping-equipment/power-edger/

The pivoting front wheel, different blade options, blade angle is adjustable.

Cam15 and Sid Post like this.