Little Wonder walk behind blower for running track

Discussion in 'Sports Field Maintenance' started by fastweig, Nov 14, 2018.

1. fastweig

fastweig LawnSite Member

We just build a new sports complex for our Jr. High School with football field and 8-lane running track. We are having a hell of a time keeping the track clean. Lots if small pebbles and other debris blown in as well as mower clippings. I'm about to purchase a Little Wonder walk behind blower with the 11.7 HP Honda engine. Our facility guy saw there is a self-propelled version and of course wants that model. It's almost 1K more and while I'm sure it's helpful on grass and hills I'm not sure if it's necessary for a smooth surface running track. I'm trying to be a good steward of booster club's money and as the track coach I'll get out there and push it myself if I have to. Does anyone have experience with these blowers and can give an opinion for our use case?

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I own a BillyGoat. Same engine and self propelled. On a flat, hard surface the self propel is not needed plus it is slow. Best advice is to do a demo if possible. You will know in about 30 seconds if you want self propelled or not.

Walker56 likes this.
  3. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, you don't need the self propelled blower. Might check if a rotary broom is available for whatever mower you are using. More of a pain to set up but much faster on sand & pebbles.