1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Live plant Dealer License?????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by drsogr, Apr 6, 2005.

  1. drsogr

    drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,275

    I went to the John Deere Landscapes here in KS, they only sale wholesale. They told me to buy anything there I had to buy a Live Plant Dealers License from the state. Has anyone heard of such a thing...what is the license for? Is it worth getting to buy plants and such wholesale? It cost $55.00. I went there because I need to buy 4 trees and 13 bushes and didn't want to go through Lowes.

  2. Wolfie's L&L

    Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member
    Messages: 211

    Hmm sounds a bit fishy to me...I'd check into it more at the dealer and see why you have to have a special license to purchase there.

  3. TScapes

    TScapes LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 453

    Here in Tennessee, it is mandated as well. Although our state charges us $200 per year. So far it is not enforced or well publicized that good. I have done this for the last 6 years here in TN and am just now finding out about it, though the Tenn Dept of Ag says they made it a policy in 1997. Basically, it is a way the state ag dept can get you to fund their budget! Actually, it is used here to regulate installations and track plants should fire ants or other insect infestations start to migrate into areas where they are not currently present. You have to provide a list of all distributors that you purchase your plants at. But again, it is not really forced here even though my trucks all have a copy of ours (just to stay legal).
  4. Jason Rose

    Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,858

    Humm, that is interesting about the license... I'm in hutchinson and have thought about going over there to see john deere about plants for my own lawn as well as fertilizer and chemicals. I have a lawn customer here that somehow has a connection with the john deere office and they can buy from there at a huge discount. I know she has no liscense, just a homeowner.

    55 bucks is not too bad for the deal though. from what I hear they are much cheaper than most places and there is a huge selection. But I don't really know, never seen the place yet...

    Deric; if you don't mind sending me a pm, or just post on here if you find out more info about it and john deere itself. I have a suspicion there is a minimum order with them, or even a minimum quantity you can buy at a time. I kinda heard they are very particular about who they sell too so they keep the joe blow's out.
  5. NickN

    NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama
    Messages: 1,009

    Have to have it here in Alabama also.It's part of the SLP Landscaping certification requirements.It's basically certifying you as a nursery dealer/grower.Gotta purchase stickers for plants also.Each one labeled with its own serial number saying that it "passed" inspection.Of course,no one comes and inspects them,they just sell a sticker.It's all about the money,as with most things government is involved in.
  6. Randy Scott

    Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,915

    Same in Wisconsin for some of the nurseries we use. They should all be asking for it, but I know they don't. Ours is based off dollar amount of plant sales. Just another way for the state to get their money. Another law with no enforcement. Idiots.
  7. Grassmechanic

    Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,697

    In Michigan, it is called a "Nurseryman's License".
  8. DGM

    DGM LawnSite Member
    from Ga.
    Messages: 173

    Have to have it here in GA. also and it is not to just to be able to buy wholesale if you install plants and get paid to do it, just like everything else you have to have a license. It is part of a Plant Protection program with the department of Agriculture. States have a big book of who is licensed to grow and dealers of live plants (if you buy and install them for a fee you are a dealer) and if someone reports you (or you get checked) for installing plants without a license there is a big fine.
  9. drsogr

    drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,275

    It seems like the less you know...the better off you are. They have a license and permit for everything nowadays! I plan on getting a license...what ever it takes to make me legit. The government is just making it easier to make the non legit companies out bid the legit companies.
  10. hollywood

    hollywood LawnSite Member
    Messages: 93

    In MD, contractors that sell nursery stock are required to have a Plant Dealers License. We have been asked for our license number more and more.

Share This Page