Local dealer lying to me?? Please read!

mayhem69

LawnSite Member
Last Thursday I filled my Exmark Lazer Z up at a Gulf gas station and ventured off to start my day. On the 2nd cut the mower just died and would not restart with over 3/4 tank reading on the fuel gauge. So I dropped it off at my local dealer.
Today is Monday and my dealer called me and stated the mower was out of gas. So I went in and explained I had just filled it that morning and even had the receipt and time. He now adds my fuel gauge doesn't work. Could a faulty fuel gauge cause the mower not to run?
Anyway he pointed out more than once that the gas tank was empty. Like he was implying that I was lying. So I told him either someone stole the gas or there is a hole in the gas tank. So he didn't know what to say.
I do not believe this guy. What do you guys think? Do you think they couldn't diagnose the problem and made all this up? My fuel gauge was working correctly until all this happened. I have a EFI Kohler S series Exmark

Marshall's Yard Service

LawnSite Senior Member
Last Thursday I filled my Exmark Lazer Z up at a Gulf gas station and ventured off to start my day. On the 2nd cut the mower just died and would not restart with over 3/4 tank reading on the fuel gauge. So I dropped it off at my local dealer.
Today is Monday and my dealer called me and stated the mower was out of gas. So I went in and explained I had just filled it that morning and even had the receipt and time. He now adds my fuel gauge doesn't work. Could a faulty fuel gauge cause the mower not to run?
Anyway he pointed out more than once that the gas tank was empty. Like he was implying that I was lying. So I told him either someone stole the gas or there is a hole in the gas tank. So he didn't know what to say.
I do not believe this guy. What do you guys think? Do you think they couldn't diagnose the problem and made all this up? My fuel gauge was working correctly until all this happened. I have a EFI Kohler S series Exmark
That sounds very fishy. I'm inclined to believe you about the dealer. What kind of rating do they have online?

TomH&H

LawnSite Senior Member
I would go over there and put some gas in and tell them to see if it leaks. Something is fishy, especially if you say the gauge worked before this. Being you got the gas from a Gulf, I would 100% believe they screwed you, but that would require a heck of a coincidence with the gauge breaking at the same time as getting shorted on gas. Did you physically look at the gas itself to see if the tank was full when you filled up? If you're going to the same dealer as me, which would be near you, I wouldn't think they would purposely screw you, but anything can happen I guess. If you're going to a dealer a little further away that may be near a town of Quakers, yeah, they suck, go somewhere else.

OP
M

mayhem69

LawnSite Member
Gas definitely went in the mower that Thurs. morning. I fill it high to an even dollar. There is no doubt the fuel gauge did work before this happened. The whole thing is just strange. So I have to make an appt to fix the fuel gauge now. It sat in there, and they didn't even fix it. They just told me it was out of gas.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
Last Thursday I filled my Exmark Lazer Z up at a Gulf gas station and ventured off to start my day.

You have a center tank under the seat ? "S" series have a 12 gallon tank. How much did you put in it ?

Today is Monday and my dealer called me and stated the mower was out of gas.

:eek: Well, if that much gas leaked out on your first lawn, you will know soon enough, the gas will kill the grass......Even if it leaked out while on your trailer, you would have smelled it, yes ?

I do not believe this guy. What do you guys think? Do you think they couldn't diagnose the problem and made all this up?

I think they found some thing stupid simple that they fixed with out parts, or put a used part in it....Then told you the fuel gauge was bad..... What did they charge you for the part ?

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
You could easily construct something to do a pressure test for leaks. But an additional has cap and hook it up to a small, again, small like cigarette lighter type of compressor and see if you have a leak. Wouldn't suggest hooking up to a 150psi tank compressor though.