Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and he has not been seen since.

A lawn a few streets over has high grass...how high, maybe 4'-5' high. Last Saturday he arrives to mow the lawn with a JD tractor and a bagging system. When I am back a few hours later the front lawn was mowed but HUGE piles of grass are every where!!

Looks like he's not coming back. Here are a few photos:

Plant Sky Building Plant community Window

·
Banned
2,382 Posts
Not like the bluegrass I deal with.

I quoted a "first cut in mid season" similar to that one this year.
It was $60 for regular mowing, $240 just to cut it down.

I wasn't going to rake and haul clippings. Just mow every 4-5 days till the clippings got beat to dust. It's possible to do that with bluegrass without actually killing the lawn. But it looks like mortal sin for a couple of months. It was just a warehouse.

It looks like that grass in the pics is tough enough to get wound around the spindles and stop the blades. I don't think I could deal with it. I'd recommend bushhogging.

Dave

·
Registered
975 Posts
You have one of three options:
1) the easiest way is a bushhog. grass that tall will burn up the motor on a regular commercial mower.
2) spend a couple of days with a brush cutting attachment on a trimmer.
3) call the local rancher and ask him if he would like to bail some grass for the livestock.:eek:

Any way you look at it; it's going to cost big $$$ to get me on that property. No less than $500.:D

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Originally posted by work_it
You have one of three options:
1) the easiest way is a bushhog
that is for sure. around my area you could find a farmer that would bushhog that for around $30-40. they do it all the time.

however, in the next big town, where they have CODES, he could get maybe $150. still cheaper than having the city do it.

Originally posted by work_it
grass that tall will burn up the motor on a regular commercial mower.
yes, I'm sure you can burn up a motor and blade belts if you aren't careful. mowers aren't bushhogs. but if you do it right, it can still be cut with a commercial unit by making very narrow cuts and multiple passes on the same row.

when I started back in '96, I did a lot just about like that one for $350. I didn't want to do it but I was getting alot of business from this guy. I did it like I described above and I cut it twice. it took me about four hours. minus the wear and tear on the ole lesco, it was good money and I needed it at the time.

if I had it to do again I'd sub it out and still pocket some nice bucks.

GEO

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
yep i can do it with my oldlazer also... but i aint going to... go get my sons bush hog...
hardest job would be disposal ... then put the finish mower on it to help the looks a bit...
o yea... u ruined the grass,, most likely
it will live[fescue] but as it is,, it will take over a yr to get it striatened out . the answer for me would be . start over ,,or at least reseed,, in the fall.jmo

·
Registered
975 Posts
I really don't think he cares how it looks. What he's more concerned about is the heavy fines the city is going to hit him with. I'm sure the neighbors have called in complaints and he's come to a point where they have given him no choice but to have it cut down.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I wouldnt even attempt that grass. Too long and thick!

I had a look at a 3+ acre job a few weeks ago, was a little shorter than that but I just said to the owner, "get it slashed (bush hogged) and I'll come back a bit later and mow it properly." ..........................going back next week, weather permitting. Be a good job once its cut down to a manageable size.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.