Logo, stand out or be similar?

Lawnmowerguy23

LawnSite Member
I am hopefully going to be able to start hitting the pavement near the end of winter in 2021 to start my lawn care business, so now I am coming up with my branding/marketing plan, among other things.

My end goal for my business is to just cut 30 - 40 yards a week in my small town, or a combination of my town and the other small towns next to it. My town is mostly middle class, but has a few streets of upper middle class. It's mostly people aged 40+.

I have been researching the local LCO's in my area, and also the top 100 revenue lawn care companies. I have noticed that just about all of them use leaves, a tree, grass, or a lawn mower lol.

I was thinking it could be a good idea to make my logo something that would stand out, but I also don't want it to be so out there that people see it and think I'm an amateur's or something like that. I figure if my logo is a little odd, people will see it on my truck and stuff like that and it would eventually lead to more business. What do you guys think?

I've also noticed that all the top brands that we know, be it Walmart, Amazon, Pizza Hut, etc., all basically just have their name as the logo. So maybe I'm overthinking (as I do).

Skol

LawnSite Senior Member
I won't put my business name on here, but went a little different direction with my business name (used an animal for my name, and logo). I really think it helped grow it initially. I ran into a lot of "Oh, you're the (business name) guy." I actually don't care for the name much anymore, but it's recognizable, easy to remember, and people know me because of it.

JFGLN

LawnSite Fanatic
I won't put my business name on here, but went a little different direction with my business name (used an animal for my name, and logo). I really think it helped grow it initially. I ran into a lot of "Oh, you're the (business name) guy." I actually don't care for the name much anymore, but it's recognizable, easy to remember, and people know me because of it.

Why you won’t share ?

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
Marketing major here. In another lifetime, I worked in account management for a large marketing firm. We subbed out anything having to do with logos, but I can tell you that in the service business (particularly the trades), you want a generic logo that is associated with what your business does. You want it to look professional, but don't get too creative. There is a reason these larger businesses all have logos that look like carbon copies of each other. It's because when people see a truck pull up to trim hedges or grass, having a leaf or grass in your logo fits that industry.

Don't spend too much time on a logo or a name. Keep it generic, and let your work and advertising separate you from the pack.

JFGLN

LawnSite Fanatic
I heard a podcast that mentioned logos recently. They suggest keep it simple with just 2 colors. Make sure it looks good with embroidery all the way up to billboard size.

JFGLN

LawnSite Fanatic
I am hopefully going to be able to start hitting the pavement near the end of winter in 2021 to start my lawn care business, so now I am coming up with my branding/marketing plan, among other things.

My end goal for my business is to just cut 30 - 40 yards a week in my small town, or a combination of my town and the other small towns next to it. My town is mostly middle class, but has a few streets of upper middle class. It's mostly people aged 40+.

I have been researching the local LCO's in my area, and also the top 100 revenue lawn care companies. I have noticed that just about all of them use leaves, a tree, grass, or a lawn mower lol.

I was thinking it could be a good idea to make my logo something that would stand out, but I also don't want it to be so out there that people see it and think I'm an amateur's or something like that. I figure if my logo is a little odd, people will see it on my truck and stuff like that and it would eventually lead to more business. What do you guys think?

I've also noticed that all the top brands that we know, be it Walmart, Amazon, Pizza Hut, etc., all basically just have their name as the logo. So maybe I'm overthinking (as I do).

Do you have a name picked out?

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
Why you won’t share ?
You don't want someone looking up your business and finding the owner arguing with guys about politics or ranting about problem customers. This is public, so if you state your name on here, don't say anything that you wouldn't say to one of your customers.

I would never post my business name on a forum like this.

Skol

LawnSite Senior Member
[QU
I heard a podcast that mentioned logos recently. They suggest keep it simple with just 2 colors. Make sure it looks good with embroidery all the way up to billboard size.

Those were two things I kept in mind when deciding on a logo. I went with Navy Blue, and a bright, not quite lime, green. It really pops on shirts, banners, signs, etc.

Skol

LawnSite Senior Member
You don't want someone looking up your business and finding the owner arguing with guys about politics or ranting about problem customers. This is public, so if you state your name on here, don't say anything that you wouldn't say to one of your customers.

I would never post my business name on a forum like this.

Exactly.

Top Forums