Logo, stand out or be similar?

OP
L

Lawnmowerguy23

LawnSite Member
My price was just example.
My point was do not be one of the low cost providers in your area. Find a way to be up by the top in service and price.
Oh I gotcha. yeah no way I'm lowballing. I think even 35 is too low for my blood, but who knows I could be over estimating how long it takes to cut. I want to hit 60/hr at minimum. there's a more upscale neighborhood 10 minutes out so once I get some legs under me I could hit that and charge a little more.

Last edited:
I am hopefully going to be able to start hitting the pavement near the end of winter in 2021 to start my lawn care business, so now I am coming up with my branding/marketing plan, among other things.

My end goal for my business is to just cut 30 - 40 yards a week in my small town, or a combination of my town and the other small towns next to it. My town is mostly middle class, but has a few streets of upper middle class. It's mostly people aged 40+.

I have been researching the local LCO's in my area, and also the top 100 revenue lawn care companies. I have noticed that just about all of them use leaves, a tree, grass, or a lawn mower lol.

I was thinking it could be a good idea to make my logo something that would stand out, but I also don't want it to be so out there that people see it and think I'm an amateur's or something like that. I figure if my logo is a little odd, people will see it on my truck and stuff like that and it would eventually lead to more business. What do you guys think?

I've also noticed that all the top brands that we know, be it Walmart, Amazon, Pizza Hut, etc., all basically just have their name as the logo. So maybe I'm overthinking (as I do).
stand out

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
Trying to imagine a guy pulling up to my house with a carpet cleaning logo get out and start mowing my lawn.. hahah.
You would be surprised how many people have something like a lightening bolt or bulldog only to get out and cut grass. It seems like common sense to have something associated with landscaping/lawncare or simply just a business name in a unique font or pattern, but so many people have confusing logos.

Years ago, there was a guy doing business under the name "lightening yard care" when I lived in WA. I remember looking at the logo on his enclosed trailer and thinking how it looked like something an electrician would have.

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
Oh I gotcha. yeah no way I'm lowballing. I think even 35 is too low for my blood, but who knows I could be over estimating how long it takes to cut. I want to hit 60/hr at minimum. there's a more upscale neighborhood 10 minutes out so once I get some legs under me I could hit that and charge a little more.
I'll take $30 properties in a middle class neighborhood over $40 properties in an upscale neighborhood all day. You deal with about half the BS in most cases. Rich folks are always keeping up with the Jones's. They often want perfection but aren't willing to pay for it. I've been stiffed by more rich folks than I have by section 8 welfare queens with waist high grass.

OP
L

Lawnmowerguy23

LawnSite Member
I'll take $30 properties in a middle class neighborhood over $40 properties in an upscale neighborhood all day. You deal with about half the BS in most cases. Rich folks are always keeping up with the Jones's. They often want perfection but aren't willing to pay for it. I've been stiffed by more rich folks than I have by section 8 welfare queens with waist high grass.
Yup. I've been working for someone cutting for 8 years and the only complaints we get are from rich people. These people will have half a million dollars in an RV and cars in the garage, but they will hound you every month about one thing or another having to do with their yard, when they're only paying $45 or so for the service. Either you edge it too far from the concrete, not edge it enough, trimmed too low, didn't trim enough, etc. Obviously I do whatever I can to please the customer but that's a pattern I've recognized.

Skol

LawnSite Senior Member
You would be surprised how many people have something like a lightening bolt or bulldog only to get out and cut grass. It seems like common sense to have something associated with landscaping/lawncare or simply just a business name in a unique font or pattern, but so many people have confusing logos.

Years ago, there was a guy doing business under the name "lightening yard care" when I lived in WA. I remember looking at the logo on his enclosed trailer and thinking how it looked like something an electrician would have.

Meh. Gorilla glue.... Red Bull energy drinks.... Crocs shoes....NBC and their peacock.

You want to stand out, it doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with lawn service.... Mine doesn't. My logo (an animal) has nothing to do with lawn service, except for the name surrounding the logo. People remember it, and know it when they see it. That's what matters. They'll eventually make the correlation with your logo and lawn service.... Just like we do with the peacock and NBC, and dozens of other examples.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
We have safari lawn spray here. Trucks are white with zebra stripes. Techs used to have to wear a safari style helmet and shirt. It was marketing. Guess it worked. Doesnt have anything to do with killing weeds.

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
Meh. Gorilla glue.... Red Bull energy drinks.... Crocs shoes....NBC and their peacock.

You want to stand out, it doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with lawn service.... Mine doesn't. My logo (an animal) has nothing to do with lawn service, except for the name surrounding the logo. People remember it, and know it when they see it. That's what matters. They'll eventually make the correlation with your logo and lawn service.... Just like we do with the peacock and NBC, and dozens of other examples.
You can't compare a merchandise to a service business. There is a big difference between picking out glue with a gorilla on it when you're looking for glue in the glue section of a hardware store and staring at a random logo on the side of an enclosed trailer parked across the street.

I both majored and worked in marketing in my first life, and it always drove me nuts how generic advertising is, but I understood that the reason there is a system for advertising certain types of products is because it works. Once the general public Associates a certain form of advertising with a type of product,it's hard to stay away from that if you want to get the most bang for your buck. I've literally been in the dungeons where stats nerds use multiple regression and Anova analysis on programs like mini tab to figure all this nonsense out. It's why all the truck commercials you see while watching football on Sunday are sorta the same. Once in awhile, someone reinvents the wheel with marketing and advertising, but if you pay for a well-established firm like the one I used to work for to do it, it's going to be generic because there is established data already existing that proves that it works.

Top Forums