Logo, stand out or be similar?

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
I'll take $30 properties in a middle class neighborhood over $40 properties in an upscale neighborhood all day. You deal with about half the BS in most cases. Rich folks are always keeping up with the Jones's. They often want perfection but aren't willing to pay for it. I've been stiffed by more rich folks than I have by section 8 welfare queens with waist high grass.
I've made a lot of money over the years from rich folks and have found them willing to pay for it.

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
I've made a lot of money over the years from rich folks and have found them willing to pay for it.

Me too, but I prefer middle class customers because I find them to be less problematic on average. I'll take the little old ladies on a fixed income with a postage stamp yard all day over some rich folks living on the hill that want their lawn to look like a golf course without using herbs. The 15 minutes I spend to get $30 from the grandma is more profitable than the 30 minutes I spend to get $45 from the doctor.

Just my experience in this part of the country (pacific Northwest).

Wye Oak Tree

LawnSite Fanatic
Meh. Gorilla glue.... Red Bull energy drinks.... Crocs shoes....NBC and their peacock.

You want to stand out, it doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with lawn service.... Mine doesn't. My logo (an animal) has nothing to do with lawn service, except for the name surrounding the logo. People remember it, and know it when they see it. That's what matters. They'll eventually make the correlation with your logo and lawn service.... Just like we do with the peacock and NBC, and dozens of other examples.
I have to disagree with some of examples you gave. These logos give hints about the product.
Gorilla glue: gorillas are strong animals. We want the glue to be strong.
Red Bull, a bull with red eyes is going to charge thus energy and movement.
Croc shoes..crocodiles live mostly in water and are a top predator.
NBC peacock (albeit had to look this up) was used to highlight NBC's color network back in 1956, color like a peacock's feathers.

It's fine to come up with a great logo that will attract attention. Or even have one that has little to do with the product/service.
IMO, it's the quality of service provided and price is what matters most.

Skol

LawnSite Senior Member
I have to disagree with some of examples you gave. These logos give hints about the product.
Gorilla glue: gorillas are strong animals. We want the glue to be strong.
Red Bull, a bull with red eyes is going to charge thus energy and movement.
Croc shoes..crocodiles live mostly in water and are a top predator.
NBC peacock (albeit had to look this up) was used to highlight NBC's color network back in 1956, color like a peacock's feathers.

It's fine to come up with a great logo that will attract attention. Or even have one that has little to do with the product/service.
IMO, it's the quality of service provided and price is what matters most.

And you expect people to come to those conclusions at a moment's notice? Or purchase products, because of those correlations? I think it's about recognizability. That's the goal.

You're right. Quality of service is what matters most.

Wye Oak Tree

LawnSite Fanatic
And you expect people to come to those conclusions at a moment's notice? Or purchase products, because of those correlations? I think it's about recognizability. That's the goal.

You're right. Quality of service is what matters most.
No, not necessarily at moments notice like driving past a LCO's truck with a logo. That's a quick interaction and easy to forget. I'll agree to that.

But I personally was drawn to your first example (kinda why I responded Thumbs Up). I was walking in Home Depot and the first time I saw Gorilla Glue it gave me the impression of as a strong glue. After taking a minute and reading the label, I went and purchased some that day.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
Me too, but I prefer middle class customers because I find them to be less problematic on average. I'll take the little old ladies on a fixed income with a postage stamp yard all day over some rich folks living on the hill that want their lawn to look like a golf course without using herbs. The 15 minutes I spend to get $30 from the grandma is more profitable than the 30 minutes I spend to get $45 from the doctor.

Just my experience in this part of the country (pacific Northwest).
Understood..

Top Forums