Long Clippings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aaddpp, Oct 23, 2017.

1. aaddpp

aaddpp LawnSite Member

I've been running into a problem for a bit now with long discharge clippings...2+ inch grass blades. They end up sitting on top of the cut grass and give the lawn a dull appearance. I'm wondering whats going on / leading to this.

Working with a an Exmark Quest with a welded (not stamped) 50" deck. I stated using Gator Blades (Gator G5 Model # 594-078) year or so ago but not sure I can peg the start of the long clippings to the blades. Deck is clean of build up. Deflector is off. Blades are sharp. Typically cut to 3" in cool seasons, and let it go to 4" during the hotter months. Grass is tall fescue...based in Maryland.

Thinking of going back to stock blades, but wanted to get some thoughts first. Also considering a mulch kit since OCDC hard to come by for Quest "prosumer" welded decks..

Thanks - Dave

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

There's nothing wrong and a ton of stuff right with stamped decks, but that old BS myth just won't die. 2" clippings are not very long and will generally deteriorate in short order. Some decks just don't do as well with Gator type blades. Go back to stock and see if the cut improves.

3. aaddpp

aaddpp LawnSite Member

Thanks! BTW, just tossed in the deck info to clarify model version. In 2014, the Quest E-series had a stamped deck, while the S-series had a welded deck.

Ridin' Green likes this.
  4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I like & use the single notch Oregon blades...those little half-moon cutouts help to shred/shorten the clippings more than a solid winged hi-lift.

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Wow! Where ya been???

6. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Been right here! Have been in a good place equip-wise, so took a long break from you ornery folks. :laugh: I'm STILL ornery, too. :jester:

hort101 likes this.
  7. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problem. If I cut 4" off I would have 4" clippings all over the place. I put a set of the Scag Hurricane Mulching Blades on and that solved my problem. Now I have 1" clippings no matter how much I take off.

hort101 likes this.
  8. aaddpp

aaddpp LawnSite Member

Took me long enough, but wanted to say thanks, and toss in an update. I swapped the Gators for factory stock...its better, but still not what I want to see - like scagman52 says above, clippings the length of the cut. Since we're wrapping up here for the season there's not much more to do, but I'm thinking about adding the mulch kit to my mower for next season - thanks for the post scagman52 !!! - since its my own lawn, I have the luxury cutting when dry almost always. My Honda walk behind - used on a steep slope - when set to mulch leaves a cleaning looking lawn, so I'm hoping for the same from the Exmark. Thanks again - Dave

hort101 likes this.