1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

long grass and customers want it cut shorter.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ready to Mow, Jun 19, 2017.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Contracts
    Written proposal agreements

Things that are signed saying what the price represents.

Like "the turf will be cut between 2.75" and 3.5" depending on weather and conditions"

They signed it
    There's there's the price.

They want 2-2.5"? That's a different price and a higher frequency.

The first contract might be for $50 a cut and 30 cuts.

Second one might be $60 a cut and 33 cuts.

Eow/biweekly cuts trying to get you to cut shorter are trying to save money.
    They are trying to get "two cuts worth" for the price of one.
    Dont let them do that

Either they are cut higher or more often or their yard is legit a non grower, those are the only options.

greennola, GrassManKzoo and oqueoque like this.
  2. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Senior Member

I cut wherever teh heck it looks good. Some people naturally want me to go lower so i don't have to come back so early, or so that 2 days later it doesn't look long. I will do this, but usually it leaves them with some scalped turf, oh well if they ask for it. I only adjust from 2 different settings on my walk behind. THat's 2 washers on top, or 1 washer on top. My yards vary, some stay a little longer and more plush, some stay short because they shoot up so fast if I don't.

hort101 likes this.
  3. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Jersey

I tell people like you have (the every 2 weekers) that :

Right now I am cutting your lawn at 2 1/2" and if we lower it a 1/2" we can damage the blade and scalp the lawn, which is not good.

Then I emphasis:
    That if we do lower the cut to 2", when we come back in 2 weeks, your lawn will be 11&1/2" high, instead of 12" high. The lawn grows fast this time of year , and should be cut at least once a week.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    ebone capone and hort101 like this.
  4. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

GrassManKzoo and dieselss like this.
  6. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed 2nd double post so far, let's see how many there's gunna be....oh cloud btw

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  7. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

He's just scatterbrained... don't mind him.. probably slept under the mattress last night:confused:

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  8. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Senior Member

That thread didn't break 100 posts like this one will

9. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Melbourne, FL

You purposely cut the lawn at an non-uniform height and now want to know what to do now that the customer has bagged you? What you do, and should have been doing all along, is cut the lawn at a uniform height like they pay you to do!

All my lawns are taking off down here because of the rain. You know what I'm doing? Cutting it at the height it's supposed to be at and then in a lot of cases, going back over the clippings, and in some cases, going back with the BP and dispersing the clippings more. Why? Because it's my job!

Wow!

13Razorbackfan and Mark Oomkes like this.
  10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

lol your chewing him out for making the right decision, uniform height lol the correct answer is to cut at the height that does not stress the grass and ding his hourly rate. that corresponds to grass type , growth, N-water inputs CUT FREQUENCY. I cut at non-uniform heights all week long for various reasons. It's summer, it's hot and the grass is growing like crazy, good time to get the lawns up for the july-august heat.

Thibault Landcaping likes this.