longest lasting truck tire thread type ?

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
last set were mastercraft courser hxt , an all terrain / all season tire that i put on my personal truck which i baby the heck out of but they still wore out quickly . so my next set for driving only on road , suburban concrete roads , but needing good traction in michigan winters snow is going to be different but still not top of the line . and ive was told an off road tire pattern last way longer than the all terrain pattern so wondering if this to be true ? plus tire suggestions that are in the mid range of prices

knox gsl

LawnSite Fanatic
I've had good luck with Michelin LTX and Cooper tire has a knock off of the LTX that works great as well. Mud terrain are typically not the best wearing tires and also suck extra fuel with the highway tread of the LTX type being the best on fuel.

OP
redmax fan

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
I've had good luck with Michelin LTX and Cooper tire has a knock off of the LTX that works great as well. Mud terrain are typically not the best wearing tires and also suck extra fuel with the highway tread of the LTX type being the best on fuel.
ok thanx

OP
redmax fan

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
When you say wore out quickly how many miles we talking? And what kind of vehicle? Pulling a load much?
i dont keep track of milage but i drive varying vehichles and dont drive very far from home in my truck so i guarantee it wasnt alot , it shocked me how quickly these mastercraft treads wore . 3/4 ton truck that pulls no loads as i use the work truck for that . though i admit i take alot of corners on concrete at high speeds

Grassfire205

LawnSite Senior Member
Toyo or bfg tires would be my recommendation. Any true mud or off road tire is going to ride a little rougher and be noisy but can last. The key is tire pressures and keeping them rotated. I rotate mine every oil change which is about 6k miles. Also make sure front end is aligned. I wore a set out in 6 months cause it wasnt straight

OP
redmax fan

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
Toyo or bfg tires would be my recommendation. Any true mud or off road tire is going to ride a little rougher and be noisy but can last. The key is tire pressures and keeping them rotated. I rotate mine every oil change which is about 6k miles. Also make sure front end is aligned. I wore a set out in 6 months cause it wasnt straight
appreciate the info . and should say the roads where i live in northern macomb county are mostly concrete and in real bad pot holed condition because of winters and large numbers of cars . you wouldnt believe how many cracked up and pot holed streets . makes me think the off roaders would be best

springfield_pest

LawnSite Senior Member
I have seen Toyo open country a/t go over 60k and one set was on a 1500 pulling a 4K pontoon attest every other weekend and a 10k camper monthly. I got over 60k on a Tacoma with the same tire.

ztman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Son has a Ford half ton and got 90k miles on the oem Hankooks. Daughter has an Explorer. Same oem tires. She got 30k out of them with city driving. Both sets ran proper psi.
A lot depends on how and where you are driving.

MLGA

LawnSite Member
when i used to own my denali hd i think michelin ltx at2 were some of the best tires ive ever owned. got at least 50k out of them even after doing standing burnouts.